Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

Problem with tranmission light. (automatic)

the light which indicates which mode i am in doens't like up anymore? so at nite i can't see what i am in. even harder now cause the letters don't light up. checked basic fews bt unsure

cars a bmw e36 320i

Edited by *Glenn*

the light which indicates which mode i am in doens't like up anymore? so at nite i can't see what i am in. even harder now cause the letters don't light up. checked basic fews bt unsure

cars a bmw e36 320i

Check the light bulb

Check the contacts are clean and shiny and tight

What transmission do you have?

EGS A4S 310R, (with A M switch = Auto, Manual) or

EGS A5S 310Z (with E*S switch = Economy, Ice, Sport)

The illumination of the A/M or E*S switch is caused by bulbs inside the switch and fed from a separate power source to the transmission control, but I think this is not your problem.

I think you mean the transmission position indicator light is not working.

The transmission position indicator light is fed from the light switch via the dimmer

At the transmission position indicator light:

Green/red wire is power for illumination

Ground will be a brown wire.

The green/red wire comes from the illumination dimmer switch, which also feeds all other interior illumination

If all other illumination works (ashtrays, hazard light, ASC switch, instrument cluster illumination), and just the transmission position indicator doesn't, then check the wire feeding the lamp, check the lamp connections, check the earth wire, etc. Should be easy to find.

Check the light bulb

Check the contacts are clean and shiny and tight

What transmission do you have?

EGS A4S 310R, (with A M switch = Auto, Manual) or

EGS A5S 310Z (with E*S switch = Economy, Ice, Sport)

The illumination of the A/M or E*S switch is caused by bulbs inside the switch and fed from a separate power source to the transmission control, but I think this is not your problem.

I think you mean the transmission position indicator light is not working.

The transmission position indicator light is fed from the light switch via the dimmer

At the transmission position indicator light:

Green/red wire is power for illumination

Ground will be a brown wire.

The green/red wire comes from the illumination dimmer switch, which also feeds all other interior illumination

If all other illumination works (ashtrays, hazard light, ASC switch, instrument cluster illumination), and just the transmission position indicator doesn't, then check the wire feeding the lamp, check the lamp connections, check the earth wire, etc. Should be easy to find.

Thanks for that will do. and is it normal for the letters not to light up? so only the transmission indicator to light up?

Thanks for that will do. and is it normal for the letters not to light up? so only the transmission indicator to light up?

Sounds right, long time since I saw one in the flesh, and at night :-)