Sign in to follow this  
no_fat_chicks

needed some info on m3 E30

Whats a M3 E30? is it a 325 motorsport made between 1985 till 91or 92? Whats the difference between a facelift model and pre FL one? And how much to pay for a genuine M3? What about the evolution version of the M3, how much do they go for, and does anyone on this forum have one?

And heaps of them seem to have high ks, do they still go good for a while? cos I have seen a few nearly in the 300k mark.

Edited by no_fat_chicks

M3 = normal E30 coupe chassis with wider wheel arches to accomodate wheels up to 10 inches wide

powered by M10 block with DOHC head = S14 engine 2.3L or 2.5L for evo 2 and 3 model.

comes with LSD, motorsport aero package, slighly lower rear window i think

there are only like 10 or so in NZ, chances are u cant afford one man

they like $30k and are very RARE

its a very balanced car, its kinda like AE86 for toyota

One day i will try to source one and convert it to 2.5L, will cost u a fortune to souce one

E30 M3 is a dream for any BMW enthusiast, only a few chosen ones get to explore the power and balance of such machinery.

:mosh: :mosh: :mosh:

Hi Thought I would chime in.

The e30 M3 was by no means "normal" in any sense of the word.

They were purpose built to qualify for group N touring car in Germany in the early eighties. It had wider fenders for race tires the C pillar is about 4 inches further back that your standard e30 coupe'. The suspension was completely revamped thicker, stiffer and stronger. ABS brakes with cross vented discs. The exhaust was slightly more sport oriented with headers that were a piece of art. A race package spoiler kit. Just about everything you need to race. Which is exactly what Group N touring car required. In order to have it on the track you had to have it in the production run. So what makes the e30 M3 so special is that you basically have a Race Car ready for tunning and a roll cage. The engines came in 3 flavors the 195 bhp 2.3l, the 215bhp 2.3l EVO2 and the 238bhp 2.5l Sport EVO.

There were some minor changes between the 3 models mostly aerodynamic but as you can see from the stats above the Sport EVO was where the party was at. It was the last of the lot (1990) and they made next to none (786 were built). They were all left hand drive so if you have one in NZ it was converted. Interestingly enough the M3 run spanned both the Pre-facelift and Facelift era e30's but they retained the pre-facelift rear lights. Another thing of note is that in the conversion the headers are normally removed to make space for the the power steering box. Which usually meant that the M3's we had here were less powerful. Go figure.

There was one original right hand drive M3 manufactured, but BMW found it too expensive and therefore only gave you one option - LHD!

From memory, I only thought that there were 500 Evo 3 (2.5l / 238hp) made - but I could have a cloudy memory.

The hp that are quote 195/215 would seem to be US spec as Euro spec M3s didn't loose 5hp to the catalytic converter.

If an M3 is not already registered and warranted in NZ, you will not be able to get it on the road until 2007 at the earliest - ie, once it is a 20 year old "classic". They come up for sale relatively commonly in England, which is only any good if you are living here. There are a number in the US, as evidenced on www.roadfly.net

I think there are slightly more than 10 in New Zealand (if you take into account pure race cars that are not street legal). However, street legal M3s may be closer to the 10 mark. I can think of 5 in CHC (not counting the 325i made up like a M3, but including one EVO 3) 2 in WLG and 2 in AKL. Plus 1 for sale on TradeMe.

If you can pick up a street legal, registered and warranted M3 in NZ for $30k, let me know your postal address. I'll send you a 10-digit calculator so you can add up the numerous bills you receive from your mechanic. I doubt I would part with mine for as little as $45k.

As for purchasing an EVO 3 - you would be lucky to get one in NZ. I know the last one in Canada sold for CAD68,000 and the last sale in the UK was GBP18,000.

Hope that helps .... and good luck.

okay I might just stick to the normal bmw motorsport cos I only have $8gs to spend. Maybe later on when I become a drug lord, just joking. I just came across this website www.m3bmw.com, heaps and heaps and heaps of good pics of m3 bmws from all around the world. Another thing how do i add pics to the bottom of my post, like everytime I post the pic should already be there.

post-2-1103918827.jpg