Sign in to follow this  
danj

Want to add mp3 playing capability, sat nav and hands free calling to

Hey guys,

As the topic states, I want to add the ability to play mp3's (either off a disc, or a memory card / usb stick, or both), and some sort of hands free calling system to my car. Sat nav would also be ideal but it is not as high priority as the first two.

Budget: Whatever it takes to get a good quality reliable system, I have no idea what sort of costs to expect, but can afford to fork out 500~1500.

I'm guessing that because of the age of my car I'll have to go aftermarket, and not OEM BMW :(?

One of them nice new headunits that have bluetooth built in,

almost all new headunits can do MP3 off a disc, even my 300 dollar clarion can do disc + USB, however the bluetooth handsfree was optional.

Hey guys,

As the topic states, I want to add the ability to play mp3's (either off a disc, or a memory card / usb stick, or both), and some sort of hands free calling system to my car. Sat nav would also be ideal but it is not as high priority as the first two.

Budget: Whatever it takes to get a good quality reliable system, I have no idea what sort of costs to expect, but can afford to fork out 500~1500.

I'm guessing that because of the age of my car I'll have to go aftermarket, and not OEM BMW :(?

Also don't recommend the OEM BMW nav for your E34, because:

a) it is very old. In 1994, 15 years ago, nav systems were just being fitted to cars. They were very slow compared to todays systems

B) the optional nav for the E34 is rare and hard to find

I would recommend a standard head unit that fits in the slot. Almost every aftermarket brand (Sony Pioneer etc) have units with iPod support, USB connectors, or Aux In connectors. It'll come doen to personal preference with the looks etc. Many come with bluetooth for phone pairing.

For the nav, get an external device like a TomTom (imho the best).

Then you have also the choice of bluetooth phone connection to the TomTom - although this requires the nav to be there and turned on.

Cheers Jochen,

If I'm going to get my hands free calling capability through my satnav, then would I be better off just getting a CP600BMW to replace the 6disc CD changer in the boot? (If it is an option on my car... 94 540i NZ new with business RDS head unit... let me know if you need anymore info).

In regards to getting a head unit that fits, will any DIN-1 unit fit in? The BMW factory system looks to be a different size to many of my friend's car's headunits...

Also I see some head units in the UK now have built in sat-nav systems, are these going to be released in NZ? Would it be worth looking into getting a unit that can do everything I want? It seems like an awkward place to have a screen for sat-nav though...

Cheers Jochen,

If I'm going to get my hands free calling capability through my satnav, then would I be better off just getting a CP600BMW to replace the 6disc CD changer in the boot? (If it is an option on my car... 94 540i NZ new with business RDS head unit... let me know if you need anymore info).

Depends, the CP600BMW replaces the ibus controlled CD changer

If your headunit is the later model then you can use the CP600BMW.

But the ibus headunits were in I think only the last year of production of the E34

In regards to getting a head unit that fits, will any DIN-1 unit fit in? The BMW factory system looks to be a different size to many of my friend's car's headunits...

The E34 uses a standard DIN sized headunit.

Also I see some head units in the UK now have built in sat-nav systems, are these going to be released in NZ?

Wow, you expect forum members to be able to advise on marketing strategy for Clarion, Alpine, Sony, Kenwood, and all the other head unit manufacturers and importers???

Would it be worth looking into getting a unit that can do everything I want? It seems like an awkward place to have a screen for sat-nav though...

If you want one, yes.

Becker make some nice units

Deciding factor will be the availability of maps for New Zealand.

Depends, the CP600BMW replaces the ibus controlled CD changer

If your headunit is the later model then you can use the CP600BMW.

But the ibus headunits were in I think only the last year of production of the E34

How can I tell? I did a quick google but couldn't find any instructions on how to check :( My car was a 94/11 production model.

The E34 uses a standard DIN sized headunit.

Excellent thanks, could have sworn it looked to be a different size, my eyes must have been tricking me...

Wow, you expect forum members to be able to advise on marketing strategy for Clarion, Alpine, Sony, Kenwood, and all the other head unit manufacturers and importers???

Well you guys seem to know everything else :P

I was more just looking to see if anyone had heard anything by word of mouth...

If you want one, yes.

Becker make some nice units

Deciding factor will be the availability of maps for New Zealand.

Cheers, I was having a look at some becker units on an overseas site, they have UK maps. I'll see what the options are for NZ maps, might flick the company an email see what they say.

I think all in one would be preferable, I like things to be tidy :P

I'm not up to speed on all that tech stuff - I just know that next week I'll be able to hold a pie AND a coke while I talk on my handsfree kit thingee that I forked out for at Noel Leemings yesterday. Woohoo! So long as I don't touch my phone I'm all good.

Couple of options:

1. Get Parrot BT system which can stream music and hook up to headunit.

2. Get a simple sunvisor type bluetooth clip on thingy.

3. Get an integrated headunit that does the lot.

My pick would be to import a JVC R800 from ebay which has USB, ipod, BT built in. The BT works pretty well but it's probably not as good as a dedicated Parrot system. Should be under NZ$300 landed and will do everything you want except Nav. It's a risk buying off ebay but I've done it with my headie and am very happy with the serice and delivery. Stay with a vendor who has good feedback and you minimise the risk.

IMO go with a separate NAV system. They scream steal me and I don't know how good a single din Nav would be. We run a Navman and I like being able to shove it away out of sight since we don't need it that often, and then only hook it up when needed.