Sign in to follow this  
scatman

Advice for the newbie

Hi Guys & Gals (assuming there is at least one female BMW enthusiast one these boards),

Recently have purchased my first bimmer a E46 318ti Msport. What I was after was any advice on what to do, where to go & who to see about getting more out of it.

Mainly interested in increasing the performance then maybe stuff like brakes, wheels and exhausts and also stereo.

It is due for it's first service wondering who to take it to, is there anything they can do to a stock 318ti without mods to improve it?

Any advice much appreciated.

Oh and what's the story with Bimmer v Beamer?

hi there and welcome aboard. Congratulations for buying a BMW - im sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it!

For the mods, i dont think leaving the brakes till last would be a good idea - if you make it fast and leave the brakes stock thats asking for trouble IMO. But to start the ball rolling id say open it up and make it breathe - get a K&N filter (ill let others argue for a pod filter or a panel filter to fit your existing airbox) and a bigger exhaust system (cats out etc) to get it flowing out the back.

For going much faster it starts getting really expensive!

Bigger wheels (whats it got now?) and getting it to sit closer to the road is also a good idea - BMWs usually look stunning sitting low with classy wheels...

No doubt others here will have opinions to voice so ill let them go hard!

Maybe you could post a few pics of your car for us?

some say beamer = BMW motorcycle,Bimmer = BMW car.

As for the mods I would say save your money on the performance mods and make cosmetic mods instead......the filter and bigger exhaust wont do much on an already well sorted setup....my 2c

If you want more performance get a second hand 325 or 328 .......and welcome!

hmm with that bimmer vs. beamer story there is a write up someware bout that

as i always knew it as beamer was a bmw motorbike and bimmer being the car

but im not sure i dont think it matters

Bimmer

BMW cars are called Bimmers. Say BIM-mer. If you are a New England native or want to sound like one, say BIM-mah.

Beemer or Beamer

BMW motorcycles are called one thing but it is spelled two ways. Beemers or Beamers, you just say BEAM-er. Or maybe BEAM-uh.

This is very simple. Motorcycles have two wheels. Beemers have two wheels

There is no Grey Area

Now some smart guy in the audience always says "What about a motorcycle with a sidecar?" The sidecar has one wheel. The motorcycle still has two wheels. It's a motorcycle with a sidecar.

What about some guy on a motorcycle pulling a trailer? Same thing: motorcycle has two wheels, trailer has one wheel. Just like a car pulling a trailer. The car still has four wheels, and the trailer has some non-zero number of wheels.

Mini and Rolls Royce

Now some new Mini owners have gone around saying that they own a "Bimmer". This is probably because the Boston Chapter lets the Minis run in the BMW autocross classes. (So far, nobody has wanted to autocross their Rolls-Royce. I wonder if a Rover produced in the BMW Group rules would be allowed into the BMW classes?)

A MINI is not a BMW. Look at the hood. Is the spinning blue-and-white propeller there? No sir. It isn't a Bimmer, Beemer, or Beamer. But it is made by BMW, so lots of people consider it a BMW. But it's still a MINI.

Where did this come from?

Why are the bikes called Beemer and the cars called Bimmer? A Very Highly Placed BMW Spokesperson sent me the following

BMW riders said Beemer as a way of saying BMW as a word. This was long before the popularity of BMW cars, so whenever the term Beemer was spoken, it referred to the motorcycle. In theory, one could apply Beemer to either cars or bikes since it is only a reference to the name BMW. In fact some folks do call BMW cars Beemers.

When the cars became popular, many people referred to them as Bimmers as well as Beemers. I don't know why this was adopted instead of simply using the existing Beemers.

But generally speaking, one calls the bikes Beemers and the cars Bimmers. While it would be ok to refer to a car as a Beemer, it doesn't seem appropriate to refer to a bike as a Bimmer.

Well I don't think its OK to call a car a Beemer. Wouldn't that be confusing? What if we called a knife a fork? A nuclear bomb a toothbrush? A politician honest? Or a car a motorcycle? Confusion. Anarchy. What next? A total breakdown of communication. Possibly the end of civilization or even nuclear holocaust.

Where was I? Oh yeah, other than letting people call stuff the wrong name, this BMW spokesperson is right on.

To sum up and in order to avoid confusion, let's just say that Beemer is the label for BMW motorcycles, and that makes Bimmer the preferred label for BMW cars.

search and find me thread man ... it's got stuff there ... i have a 316ti ... you sure your's is a 318ti ? NZ only got the 316 and 325 ... whats you CC ? is it 1.8 ?

Got any pictures of the beast ?

Bimmer, Beamer whatever its made by BMW all the same? Welcome to bimmersport too..... Lol i'm one of the female enthusiasts.

Congratulations on your purchase (sounds like something the sales person would say :D)

search and find me thread man ... it's got stuff there ... i have a 316ti ... you sure your's is a 318ti ? NZ only got the 316 and 325 ... whats you CC ? is it 1.8 ?

Yeah it is a 318ti 1995cc, Jap import 2002 came with only 9500Ks (or that's what it said anyway).

I'll have a look at your thread thanks.

So how much would it cost to stick the 2.5 in or even better the 3.2?

Yeah it is a 318ti 1995cc, Jap import 2002 came with only 9500Ks (or that's what it said anyway).

I'll have a look at your thread thanks.

So how much would it cost to stick the 2.5 in or even better the 3.2?

quite a bit , but if u got the money , the time, and the patience i say go for it

Guest Spargo

Its always that time of the month eh Sic :o

Beemer = bike (why: BSA bikes where known as Beezers, BMW bikes, Beemers)

Welcome fresh meat. Have a look around for Hartge's 3.2L compact swap.

Hehe thanks for the advice *sic.

*Note to self, tread carefully with *sic at this time of the month :D

:lol:

*sic is a puppy really... lick ya too death.... :drugs:

Seriously - welcome and enjoy your beamer..ahem..bimmer. Gloss the girl up, shine da tyres, and wear her with pride!

:thumb:

Ahahaha awesome!

know this.

nah it was all the other forums i whore... nah it wasnt, it was the live video feeds of andy gus and dave.... :puke:

Guest Andrew

know this.

nah it was all the other forums i whore... nah it wasnt, it was the live video feeds of andy gus and dave.... :puke:

sh*t man thats sposed to be kept quiet.

know this.

sh*t man thats sposed to be kept quiet.
common dude, you know the all love it and want a feed of there own..