Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Possible E65 735 upgrade

Hi

I've got a 1999 740i currently but have seen a nice looking silver E65 735i on trademe. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=250057250

I don't care for the E65 in Black or Dark Navy but I think it looks magic in silver. Strange as in the E38 I like it better in dark colours.

What are the advantaged of an E65 over an E38?

I know that it is bigger, the engine was updated from the M62 to the N62 and got Valvetronic, it got a 6 speed auto, and iDrive which some don't like.

What should I look out for, and what are the things that make E65 owners nervous.

The Jimster

Friend did exactly what you are suggesting ... updated from an e38 to the e65. He was really happy with the updated version. I remember him saying that there is switches for doing everything and heaps of electric motors all over the car. He did have some issue with some electrics in the car not working but managed to soirt them out through warranty.

Just checked out Japan auctions and they are selling in Japan at the same price as the one you are looking at without the cost of transport, compliance and GST in consideration so on paper, this is a good deal. Issue will be trying to sell it in the future as the 7 series are not the quickest of sellers given the model popularity. BUT they are a fantastic cruzing car :)

As Ron says, the price sounds good.

2.5 years ago I was looking at a '02 735i 50k, from Jeff Gray, which cost exactly twice of what the auction is asking for. It was also a Singapore import, like this one.

Good luck, keep us updated.

The link to TM will probably be an ex Singapore car as it has working sat nav etc. Exception may be a very early Jap car.

So generally -if you go for ex Jap - you won't get the nav working & may have issues with programming radio for here.

i was always advised to never buy a car full of electrics from singapore way to much salt in the air there and it all conks out

i was always advised to never buy a car full of electrics from singapore way to much salt in the air there and it all conks out

Good advise on the source - will hold off for a bit and get an NZ new at some point in the future.