Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Online manuals - E39

Anybody know any places you can download car manuals? Looking for one for an E39 540i.

Or can someone explain how the parking sensors work (if it has them)? And same for the rain sensing wipers? on all the time or do you switch between manual and auto somehow?

Cheers

Anybody know any places you can download car manuals? Looking for one for an E39 540i.

Or can someone explain how the parking sensors work (if it has them)? And same for the rain sensing wipers? on all the time or do you switch between manual and auto somehow?

Cheers

The parking sensors are activated by a button below the climate control/AC controls. its called PSC. its a button press it to activate then shift into reverse to see if th elight on it lights up. it should make sound even in park or drive if anything gets near to it. pm me your email and i will email you the manual. i have in PDF.

PDC: put the gear in reverse and they switch on. Noticable by the green LED lighting up on the button. Do your thing and when you drive away forward they switch off at speed xyz.

parameters that can be edited (with software and an OBD cable) are the volume of the beep front/back, beep if it switches on or off, speed at which it turns off and a lot of complex stuff about distances and angles that you don't want to mess with :)

Test the sensors: just leave a window open and move slowly close to each sensor. The system only reports an error if two are faulty, not just one (but this is hearsay for me)

Rain sensor wipers: put stalk in down position (everything off) then put it oneup (interval) and the rain sensor is used. After iginition off, this function is also off. So you need to turn it on every time. Easy way: leave the stalk in the first position and turn the sensitivity wheel a bit. This re-activates it too.

automatic lights, light sensor: if available: light knob to the 'a' position and the lights swicht on and off depending on light outside. no alarm when you leave the car with the knob in that position. Knob in the 'on' position and itworks like DRL, no alarm when leaving as it switches everything off itself. Knob in parklights position: just angel eyes and rear lights and an irritating alarm when you leave the vehicle

I've seen the manuals somewhere, may be in german though..... ;)

EDit: maybe this helps: http://rapidshare.com/users/BK3DSJ pass: pdftown.com

Edited by BMtouring

Depending on the year(post 96?),the pdc should default to the 'on'position when you start the car.

Dont work if car not running.

Edited by 1rotty

Depending on the year(post 96?),the pdc should default to the 'on'position when you start the car.

Dont work if car not running.

never heard of that... maybe that's another parameter that can be set.

never heard of that... maybe that's another parameter that can be set.

Every e38 & 39 I've owned have done this so I thought it was the norm until I got a 96 recently which doesnt default.

BMW strangeness maybe. :rolleyes: