Sign in to follow this  
Mavrick

Few surfing queries

Hi All,

Am in the process of buying my first surfboard and wetsuit. Have been out a few times and am pretty decided on what i want.

Am looking at a few surfboards on trademe, 6"4' shortboards 18 - 19" wide and looking at 2 3'8 to 2 5' thick. Was originally looking at a minimal as suggested by a lot of people for a learner, but i had a go on my mates 6"2 fish and found it easier to get up on than the minimals i had been using, so have decided to go with a shortboard. Does the size of the board seem right? Would the thickness (which is the big issue) be enough so that waves are ridiculously hard to catch.

These are 3 of the boards im looking at.....Board 1......board 2....board 3.

Also looking for a wetsuit, looking at rip curl as they have the most flexible neoprene. Problem being that we dont have any stores in P. North that seem to stock a decent range of suits, which has lead me to look online without being able to try any on.

Question being what size would be best for me? I'm 6"2 and 82kg, slim build. The rip curl sizing guide says that i should have a large or large tall. But I've been wearing my mates medium which just seemed a little bit restricting, so i was thinking a medium tall would suffice?

Any light that could be shed on the above issues by some knowledgeable surfers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mavrick

Edited by Mavrick

Guest Simon*

You're about my height so I'd go for a large tall or medium tall if you consider yourself skinny. Check the specs for each manufacturer online for their sizing guides, and if torn between 2 sizes get the smaller one.

If you're planning on surfing out Palmy way you'd want a bigger, thicker board no? West coast south of Wanganui doesn't get consistently big waves

Are you totally new to surfing? Thrusters are a pretty difficult board to learn on. I started surfing years ago, started with a small 6" thruster and just got frustrated most of the time, all I was doing was giving my arms a good workout really. Then also bough a 7" mini-mal which made getting up in smaller swells a breeze, and I saved the thruster for the bigger stuff.

Guest Simon*

And yeah that's the key

I just prefer mini-mal's anyhow. Will work in almost all conditions :)

Yeah, im looking towards the medium tall. Have heard the same, as the neoprene does stretch a little.

Himitangi and Wanganui etc are generally small, but i'd tend to be surfing over on the east coast, riversdale and akitio etc. As long as the boards not pencil thin, around 2.5 inches id be fine.

You're about my height so I'd go for a large tall or medium tall if you consider yourself skinny. Check the specs for each manufacturer online for their sizing guides, and if torn between 2 sizes get the smaller one.

If you're planning on surfing out Palmy way you'd want a bigger, thicker board no? West coast south of Wanganui doesn't get consistently big waves

In reply to 'Quailboy', have tried both boards and found my mates shortboard easier to get up on than the minimal.

Cheers for your thoughts.