Sign in to follow this  
tcbaurpower

Camshaft Replacement m30b25 engine.

Hello,

I need to replace the camshaft on my m30b25 engine. I need to check a few things before I go off and buy one.

Can I use any m30 camshaft or only b25/b28 as i know the b35 has a different distributor. I found this cam would it work? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-257618301.htm

If I did change to a b35 cam could I then change to the Motronic distributor and harness as well.

I am thinking of buying the complete setup.

Cheers.

Whats the reason for changing the camshaft? Is it worn out or broken?

Broken connection for distributor drive on end of cam before large nut where the sprocket for the timing chain is.

Pretty sure the camshaft is quite different, I know the pistons etc are, and you'd need to be sure you weren't going to get valve clash?

I may have a 2.5 cam in my collection, if I can find it I'll let you know.

Pretty sure the camshaft is quite different, I know the pistons etc are, and you'd need to be sure you weren't going to get valve clash?

I may have a 2.5 cam in my collection, if I can find it I'll let you know.

Cheers David,

Can i replace the cam without taking the head off while the engine is out of the car?

Edited by tcbaurpower

yes, you can

Thanks bob...Oh sweet thought it might!

Edited by tcbaurpower

post-2650-1259882946.jpg

This is the damaged cam!

On another note the bolts holding the sprocket on are all loose :mellow: and that one banjo bolt was also.

Edited by tcbaurpower

I have more than one bmw just listed the better looking one on my profile ^_^ and it is stock 325i, i do have a project which is close to being finished. To be shown off once finished.

^Yes back to the problem at hand^

Right so I might aswell start the deconstruction untill I find another cam. What is the best way to keep everything in time? I thought about using a vivid to mark the sprocket and chain after I turn the engine to tdc. And/or then use cable ties to hold them together.

I measured the rather large nut as 40mm is that correct?

I use a twink pen to do the marking.

Can you see a number on the cam, I have one here which has the right front and is a

1 255 930 cam.

I use a twink pen to do the marking.

Can you see a number on the cam, I have one here which has the right front and is a

1 255 930 cam.

I have 1 250 057.

Online part number is 11 31 1 269 448 (old part number 11 31 1 266 226) or interchangeable with e12, e28, e25, e23 models *25i or *28i or *33i.

Link: http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/11311269448/

PM sent David.

I am researching into the how to remove in my Haynes manual. Do you use the BMW tool or the screwdriver option with help from a mate?

Hello, I need to undo a 30mm and 40mm nut so went down to repco to check out some prices. $30 and $45 respectably which is a little much for me since I wont use them often if ever again. So does anyone already have these in Christchurch i can borrow? Or do you know where a can find cheap versions in this size? Other options I would consider buying is a multi spanner which was $72 at repco which did up to 40mm. Your experience appreciated. Cheers.

Edited by tcbaurpower