Sign in to follow this  
318Touring

M42 engine oil filter cap removal :-|

If its same as m52, isnt it like a 36mm socket?

You can get them at repco for like $30 :angry:

Edit: nvm, i see its alot bigger.

Edited by turboprop

If nworst comes to worst get a peice of leather or something and wrap around it then clamp it with vice grips and undo it

or a oil filter removal tool should work

Really annoys me it's so hard, why couldn't they make it as simple as other cars.

My generic oil removal tool is too big even at its lowest setting. Will check Repco tomorrow to see whether tehy have the removal tool...

If it's a socket, SuperCheap is cheaper than Repco. Having recently bought one for my VW.

I've actually managed to unscrew the top using a combination of leather belt and generic oil filter removal tool. Phew.

Thanks everyone, I'll do the oil change later on today.

Get yourself an adjustable strap wrench - they are really useful to have in the tool box and pretty cheap.

They are a handle with a piece of rubber belt attached (like a strip of cam belt without the teeth). The loose end threads back through the handle, pull the strap tight, grip the whole thing and turn. Once you own one you will find a new use for it every week.

Get yourself an adjustable strap wrench - they are really useful to have in the tool box and pretty cheap.

They are a handle with a piece of rubber belt attached (like a strip of cam belt without the teeth). The loose end threads back through the handle, pull the strap tight, grip the whole thing and turn. Once you own one you will find a new use for it every week.

Good idea.

I think this is the one, TM.