Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Smiths and Smiths glass.

I noticed the other day some stone chips on my front windscreen, Since i have extra windscreen cover on my insurance i phoned them up and asked what could be done, They said if they are not to bad they could get done what novus does but with them they would do it through smiths and smiths glass.

I have heard a lot of horror stories from ss but that was for windscreen replacement and not fixing up chips.

The chips themselves are not very bad at all just small bubble chips but hey i pay insurance every year so might as well use them.

Just wondering if anybody has used ss for doing chips and if the outcome was ok. The branch that was going to do it is going to be the one on moorehouse ave.

On another note ringing my inusrance company they were great, told them what the story was and they put me on hold for about a minute and when they came back to me said its all sorted just take the car into them and they will be ready for you (well know i am going to turn up at some stage).

So will drop it in today and see what they do (even gonna take my camera B)

I had two windscreens replaced by Smith and Smith Glass in Mt Wellington/Penrose a couple of years ago.

I had no complaints with either installation.

Cheers

Grant

We use SS out here in Rangiora to repair most of the work trucks with either Novus or replacements. The guys out here have been great so far. Takes a few hours for glue to set though from memory (might be windscreen replacements though)

i used S&S in tauranga fr chips in the windscreen in my 750il turned out fine

there's not alot to it so its hard for them to get it wrong

they just had a tool that drilled slightly into the chip then the suction cup thing you see on the ads and it injects clear resin then you wait for it to harden

Remember its the workers not the company that gives the bad name.

Have used S&S many times and it comes down to the worker how good the service is.

I've had several experiences with S&S - none of which were overly great.

Had one stone chip "fixed" by S&S... but the car failed one month later at WOF time because it was a crap repair. Put in another windscreen claim and got Novus to replace the entire screen because it was deemed "unfixable".

Had numerous screens replaced by S&S Petone (Wellington) and the car generally looked worse after they had worked on it then before due to damage and bad fitment of the surrounding trim and/or scratches to the paint.

Had a chip filled in on the wife's Corolla about a month ago by a mobile S&S guy. The repair is still quite noticable both inside and outside of the car.

In my experiences - Novus good, S&S bad. And that's three different S&S branches. I find they just dont seem to be as careful as they could be and tend to rush everything.

I took it in today but they said the chip is not very bad at all and is to small for repair, Well be it on their head if the chip turns into a crack as i would not like to be replacing a screen and if it did come down to that i would be getting a different comapny down here one i know to put a new screen in.

Also on a different note do they have to replace the same type of screen as mine has the green band across the top etc which is what i would want again.

Edited by M-Spec

If they do replace the screen, they would give you the banded one if you had it before.

Last time I had a screen replaced, I've managed to have the insurance pay for a genuine BMW screen fitted at Jerry Clayton service. Worth a chat to the insurance company if you are a bit nervous about S&S.

Don't they replace with new seals when they put new screen on?

I've had several experiences with S&S - none of which were overly great.

Had one stone chip "fixed" by S&S... but the car failed one month later at WOF time because it was a crap repair. Put in another windscreen claim and got Novus to replace the entire screen because it was deemed "unfixable".

Had numerous screens replaced by S&S Petone (Wellington) and the car generally looked worse after they had worked on it then before due to damage and bad fitment of the surrounding trim and/or scratches to the paint.

Had a chip filled in on the wife's Corolla about a month ago by a mobile S&S guy. The repair is still quite noticable both inside and outside of the car.

In my experiences - Novus good, S&S bad. And that's three different S&S branches. I find they just dont seem to be as careful as they could be and tend to rush everything.

This is also my expierance with Smith & Smith

My old mans 80 series cruiser had heaps of chips and was sent in for a new screen,

they fitted a new windscreen ( 80 series toyota cruiser don't use glue ) and as the screen was a non branded sh*t chinease one it was tinner and you could see the screen almost falling out when the air pressure changed.

this was sent back to be sorted out and the windscreen was then fitted with glue when it should have been replaced according to toyota specificatons ( again thinner non branded windscreen ) this seemed to work ok apart from the fact they got glue all on the front right gaurd and didn't clean it up.

The cellphone car kit aerial was also stuck on poorly and flew off down the road meaning a replacement was required.

I had a good experence with S&S a few years ago removing and re fitting the same windscreen to a toyota corona but I will most definitly not be taking my hilux into these experts after the shocking poor service recieved.

I will add that the workers themselves probally tried their best but in this case the whole system really fell over and every aspect of this particuar job was a severe stuff up risking the saftery of occupants of the landcruiser.

As some one said before, its not the company name to blame, i think each individual branch's performance depends on the fitter at the time. My olds used morrinsville S&S for a screen replacement ten years ago (in a 18 month old car at the time) and its leaked ever since, when ever it rains the carpet under the drivers footwell gets flooded! took it back to smith and smith and they couldnt figure out the leak, just basted the foam filler all round the joints which looked terrible. Eventually they pretty much said its not their problem so had a leaky run around car since. However I got a crack repaired in matamata few weeks ago, did a good job, was pretty happy with it. So depends on the branch. I only use smith and smith because insurance deals with them, when ive had to pay for windscreens etc ive used other firms, way better prices.

I had some chips repaired by Smith and Smith's main Penrose, Auckland branch and the results were terrible.

I've since used a chap from Novus and the results were almost flawless.

Have had a a bad experience with S&S also...

Had my drivers window replaced as it had been smashed. When they took the door card of he broke 4 clips and bent it.. Wasnt very impressed.

After driving the car for the first time and used the window I heard what to me sounded like coins in my door.

Only to realise later that he hadnt vacuumed the glass out of the door.....

My 2 cents worth <_<

Have had a a bad experience with S&S also...

Had my drivers window replaced as it had been smashed. When they took the door card of he broke 4 clips and bent it.. Wasnt very impressed.

After driving the car for the first time and used the window I heard what to me sounded like coins in my door.

Only to realise later that he hadnt vacuumed the glass out of the door.....

My 2 cents worth <_<

sent it in for stone chip repair under insurance, came back with new cheap chinese windscreen without my permission,

They broke the bottom trim in my 740, then broke the rain sensor pad you could actually see it(reusing it), so no more auto wipers, they would not fit a genuine screen, as genuine screens come with pad,

Did not swap over my service sticker, and most importantly my mackas VIP sticker.

Anyway after about 3 weeks they replaced screen again, wipers have never worked on auto since,

Also fitted screen to my hilux, its great, when it rains you get a wet lap!!!!! Yeeee haaaa

Theres my review of Smith & Smith,

I have used novus a few times and they are fantastic, even got my car back cleaned/vaccumed!

Has anyone used Smith and Smith with an E30? I really want to claim insurance on my screen as it's pretty hard to see out of due to all the little stonechips that aren't really that bad (it's like sandpaper) but not keen on having a crappy fix? the current screen is geniune and feels tough as.