Sign in to follow this  
1quad1

Info Wanted E30 Brake Upgrade

E30 M50 running 325i brakes

I would like to put on something bigger

Any Ideas ?

:mellow:

Good fluid, Braided lines, quality discs and pads should be fine shouldn't it?

JiB has upgraded his Brakes, read his build thread, hes using Nissan skyline Gts-T 4pot front calipers and E46 rear calipers i think, don't know what sort of/diameter discs

Be awaare that you start needing wheels with quite specific offset and caliper clearance (and unless you spend forever searching, 16" or 17" wheels as 15" becomes really hard).

PM JiB and he might be able to enlighten you on exactly which front discs (300mm x 25mm with 40mm offset, originally 4x114). Its still not cheap by the time you've bought Nissan calipers, narrowed the fronts to suit the narrower discs and had custom mounting brackets made, then bought the discs and had them redrilled.

Then also a master cylinder (23.8mm or 25.4mm) to suit.

Edited by CamB

The kits from Lee (Massive Brakes) are a good package given the price, which is reasonable given that everything is brand new, not second hand Nissan/Volvo/Mazda/Subaru calipers.

That said, an E30 with an upsized master cylinder (25mm from an E32, available as a kit from BimmerWorld), good fluid, braided lines, rebuilt calipers, the right pads, and good rotors will stop very well indeed. Easier to put better wheels and tyres on the car to achieve better braking performance as well.

as far as I'm aware there is no bolt on upgrade for E30's. Its either upgrade standard components, build your own kit consisting of various manufacturers components modified to fit (eg audio tt rotors and 5 series calipers) or do it properly and get a wilwood/brembo etc kit. again either from a package like massive or something you put together yourself.