Sign in to follow this  
shaneg

MTM A4 GT

Anyone driven one of these? MTM A4 GT

Doesnt look as boring as the plain A4's

286hp and apparently 0.3 seconds faster to 100 than the M3?

Not many of them around, might be something to hold on to?

There was a red one on there not long ago.

Edit: 2 others on TM atm, can't be that rare.

Edited by E30ONP

There was a red one on there not long ago.

Edit: 2 others on TM atm, can't be that rare.

They arent ones built in germany at MTM, they just have the stuck on bits..

True that, heres the red one. So there's atleast 30 in NZ.

In 1997, Audi NZ imported 30 of these 286hp models to NZ (some sedans, some wagons) The new retail price was $120,000 plus

Edited by E30ONP

Cheers for that link, been looking for some info on them, there arent any good vids on Youtube

I bought this car in 2000, as it was something different to an Evo or WRX STi, and wasn't a grippers car like an M3. :-)

His was pulling 320hp... christ.. a lot from a 1.8L

Might go take it for a test drive, could be a bit of fun??

Haha 320hp would be fun, do it. Shame it doesn't show the pictures of it, it looked mint.

these golf and Audi 1.8t engine have no issues in regards to power. Out of the box the standard motor can handle 300hp, providing its the big port motor, Small port motor can handle around 270hp. Only mod required is Rod upgrade. Then you can go up to around 450hp. But then it's already more then enough power surely?

But there are guys running these around the 600 - 800hp range. Pretty damn fast.

Had a read of the article,

Roland Mayer is adamant that 300 hp is the sensible limit for a road car which does not compromise durability. He is also quick to admit the Stage 4 conversion may not be the end of the story. "Racing versions of this engine have been getting 450 hp from four cylinders, and four valves per cylinder so there is no reason why we should not be able to crack 400 hp from this five-valve engine," he said. "At the end of the day, it is down to whether or not this new cylinder head is strong enough. We are testing!"

massive turbo lag though.

Not on the 300 - 400hp range. Providing you have the correct turbo.

But the 600hp can have lag up to around 3500rpm.

Doesn't "lag" depend what you are referencing it to? My wife's Skoda has basically none with the standard K03S, but that's tiny and it runs out of puff at not much over 5,000rpm (despite a big downpipe/exhaust and Revo chip).

I'd love to have a slightly bigger turbo on it - I reckon it would drive better - less rapid building of boost would actually be nicer to drive.

Doesn't "lag" depend what you are referencing it to? My wife's Skoda has basically none with the standard K03S, but that's tiny and it runs out of puff at not much over 5,000rpm (despite a big downpipe/exhaust and Revo chip).

I'd love to have a slightly bigger turbo on it - I reckon it would drive better - less rapid building of boost would actually be nicer to drive.

Something else to note is the Revo chip can also be the culprit. They do, do very good maps.

With chip tuning you will get what you are after. But personally I would not run a Chiptuning chip again.

Superchip operates much the same as you are refering to currently.

You can get your Skoda Dyno tuned at Torque Performance. Ask them to tune it as much as possible as you want. They do an extremely good job, plus giving you before and after of the session and explaining what you can do to improve too.

Otherwise you can do the following.

you can do a quickish upgrade with a remap which will net you around 240 - 250HP. This is what you need to do.

Upgrading to a K04. You will require new turbo oil feed lines and exhaust manifold. and a remap. Would also suggest getting a 4 bar fuel pressure regulator. And new DP. this will take you to around 6300rpm.

This will give you around 280 - 330hp.

Or you can go for the GT28 eliminator kit that has all the above mentioned.

Even with 8psi boost full boost is at 2700 only 400rpm longer than now. In addition will only be running out of puff around the 6500ish rpm range.

I know of guys running GT2871r on their 1.8T only changed Rods. But on 8psi boost had full boost around the 2600rpm, and kept pulling around the 7000rpm. But no driveability has been lost either. They now run around 13psi boost full tilt around the 2750rpm and keeps pulling, Only stops at 7500rpm as that is where they have their rev limit set currently.

In all accounts doing the upgrade for Audi A4 is a little easier than the Skoda/golf. But pricing is much the same for all three. The only thing which will hurt you is the money and retune. But installation will be pretty easy, You would be able to do the whole lot in a weekend, Providing you dont break any nuts or bolts. If you have done this before you would be able to get the car fully running again in 1 day.

But again this is Digressing from this guys MTM A4 post. Sorry mods.

Edited by GLIDN

Lets digress! A post about an MTM A4 is by its very nature off-topic anyway.

She already has a big downpipe, 4 bar regulator and Revo adjustable mapping. With the puny little turbo its actually a bit unpleasant to drive with the boost turned up too high (basically a massive surge onto boost at 2500rpm), so I don't bother. The bigger turbo (eg the GT28) would be great - same boost but more progressive power delivery. For some reason I can't quite work out, my wife isn't interested in more power. She needs to get her priorities straight...

Lets digress! A post about an MTM A4 is by its very nature off-topic anyway.

She already has a big downpipe, 4 bar regulator and Revo adjustable mapping. With the puny little turbo its actually a bit unpleasant to drive with the boost turned up too high (basically a massive surge onto boost at 2500rpm), so I don't bother. The bigger turbo (eg the GT28) would be great - same boost but more progressive power delivery. For some reason I can't quite work out, my wife isn't interested in more power. She needs to get her priorities straight...

lol, i know what you mean, I'll upgrade the girlfriends GTI basically what you have there, To larger turbo etc, in about 8 - 12 months. Currently her GTI is making 130kw @ the front wheels and peaks boost at 21.6psi. Has been for the past 100000km's or around 4ish years.