Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

All retailers beware

Today I was sitting in the shop and in came a guy claiming to be from Smart-Pay Cadmus. Looked fairly well presented and introduced himself. He then said that he was here from Cadmus to put a new firmware update on our systems.

It all seemed fine, but then I realised they weren't even cadmus machines, and that our normal service agent was someone else.

I said that I didn't know he was coming and why he didn't call to arrange a time. He said that someone had recieved a letter and had replied with an OK.

Only problem is that I'm the only one there half the time and definitly the only one who would recieve/reply to mail. That's when I asked him for a card, he gave me a dodgy (read:F**ken whorry) looking card with no name/number on it.

I told him that I'll be fine with my current setup and that I would ring him when I sort it out so he can come back and do it. He left really quickly and didn't wanna look at me much, I did get part of his plate though. Which I will put up later.

Rang the number on the card just as he left and it was not a listed number.

Rang Cadmus and they had no idea who the guy was and that they don't do services like that etc etc.

Have been in touch with the police and will update this as it progresses, but to everyone there running a store, he was in a ghetto spec toyota corrola station wagon, and the card is white and blue and really shitty looking.

I bet he was trying to tamper you terminal with one of those card capturing device. Similar to the ATM scam some monhs ago.

Good on you for picking this up.

Police sent out an email not long ago regarding this. Ill try dig it up.

Ah nvm, this is somthing different but ill post it anyway:

Title: Police warn of PIN number scam in Wellington

Wellington Police want to identify two people in relation to a PIN number scam being used to obtain money from stolen bank cards. Police say the male and female have been quite convincing with shop staff and warn others not to fall into the same trap.

Cash, wallets and other small valuables have been stolen from backroom office areas by one person while the other diverts the attention of the staff member.

A short time after the pair have left, a phone call is made to the store, with one of the pair posing as a bank representative asking for a bank card PIN number to refund overcharging. The 'representative' gives the staff member the option of visiting the bank in person or conveniently providing the PIN number immediately by phone.

Police say three small business owners in Wellington CBD have made reports and CCTV images of the pair have been provided. The pair are believed to have first obtained property and money from CBD shops on Saturday 9 January.

Police warn all members of the public against giving bank card PIN numbers over the phone to anyone, no matter how persuasive the caller sounds. Shop staff working alone should pay attention to people's movements in their store when helping customers.

Anyone with information about these incidents is asked to call Wellington Police burglary squad on 381 2000.

Edited by turboprop