Sign in to follow this  
oscar90

Everything E30 86 325i into E30 86 318i

Hi Guys,

A Done to Death question no doubt!, and i am searching the forum so don't flame me straight away lol

Basicly im getting fair fudging sick and tired of finding rust and more problems with my 325i, then the compliance issue to come no doubt, and want to have a road legal E30 so... before spending $1000 on compliance etc and more on nessesary repair and rust, i'd rather buy a rego'd car and pay someone to swap motor, trans, rear subframe, I should be able to do my suspension and other little things myself.

Does everything 325i swap into the 318 shell?(cheap one on trademe atm hence asking now)

shocks etc, what about sway bars? 318 wont have a rear, and the front 325i front bar will be bigger than 318, swap mounts? is it a case of drilling some holes for the rear?

I know engine etc will go in no probs..what about the loom? does it need to be majorly altered?

What are the little things you wouldnt think of that may become problems?

The 325i rear subframe would bolt in i assume? (to keep bigger diff etc)

Basicly looking for advise from people who have been through this sh!t before lol

Dunno which way to go, just getting sick of throwing money away and not being able to drive it (lack patience) registered shell seems alot sweeter deal TBH less hassle

Also aware I may/will hit probs with a WOF having two extra cylinders lol

so if anyone has a cheap 320i/325i in the canterbury region or south island, thats got CURRENT REGO or REGO ON HOLD let me know i am definetly interested

Cheers,

Andrew :rolleyes:

I 325'd everything into a 316i, all bolted in worked a treat. Done. Aside from the motor but it has been done to death before. 316/318 have mounts for rear sway bar etc. Basically everything is the same model to model, the best thing about being able to modify e30's B)

Edited by Forrest

Thats what I wanted to hear Nath, cheers mate! might have a serious look into it all and the cost of everything i think. i just want a road legal E30 :angry::wub:

E30lovehate

^ You know I feel like you do right now haha. Rego'd shell would be easier and cheaper eventually, but finding a rust free shell is getting a lot harder. I thought I had found one :rolleyes: . Hindsight is a funny thing lol Atleast you can find a coupe shell ;)

Edited by Forrest

You've got the E30 blues my friend haha sing with me! ...then threaten to sell it.. watch it tremble with fear, it shakes the rust out of them :rolleyes: !

Rust free E30 seems like a Mythological Creature! lol

I wouldnt even be bothered with a wee bit of rust aslong as it was Rego'd atleast fixing it would be worth it as you could still drive it around.

If you want it to be 100% legal too, you will need to certify it. However, VERY low chances of actually them catching you. but you never know, if you're in an accident, they might go.. hmm that's not a 4cylinder.

Just letting you know :)

yeah spot on Michael, stated that in my OP, what you've just described is EXACTLY the sort of thing insurance would do haha

A 320/325 rego'd shell would be ideal, just looking into it at this stage. If nothing suitable comes up i'll just keep throwing money at it till its road legal I suppose :lol::rolleyes:

It shouldn't be that expensive to cert? as it's all OE parts, so shouldn't be a huge cert job. (I think it's like 400 bucks)

I would just do it anyway, better to be safe and legal than to be er, sorry.

yep lol the last sentence sums it up nicely

Could always buy 325 plates, tags + weld the chassis number in off someone :ph34r: has been done, abit condtradicts the legality issue you wish to persue Andrew lol.

haha yes but once its legal, its fine I suppose. another option <_<