Sign in to follow this  
E30_318i

E38 740i

What are common problems for E38s, and is there anything suspect about them now, especially with the early examples?

Was the M60 quality issue of the E34 and E32 days sorted by the time the E38 had landed?

We are getting another car in the house in the next few months, and the W140 S420 is possible, but typical dodgy Merc electronics have sorta put a question mark over them, but was just wanting to get some good/bads of the 740s.

There were no real problems with the M60 motor. Especially if you are referring to the Nikasil problems that all the US websites go on about.

The 740 is a nice car and handles bloody well for a thing of it's mass. The motor is superb. It is too quiet if anything.

The things to have checked are the self-levelling suspension and EDC. These shocks are VERY expensive. We have replaced ours, but you would need to love the car to do this.

Cheers for that. Yeah it was the Nikasil issue that I was refering to, and had got that idea off the North American sites too.

The things to have checked are the self-levelling suspension and EDC. These shocks are VERY expensive. We have replaced ours, but you would need to love the car to do this.

Yeah thats one of the problems with the Benz :ph34r:

Nikasil is/was a major issue for the M60 but only in countries where the sulphur content in the petrol is very high.

I dont know how NZ petrol compares but you need to make sure the car starts and idles nicely. A rough idle at start up is the dead give away. \

if you want to know more then I know a couple of people in the UK who probably know as much as BMW so give me a shout.

If you want to know about an e38 740, then come and see mine ;)

My dads 730iL has way too much legroom ... way to comfortable lol. Just thought id brag :D.

hahaha

you can never have too much leg room esspecially when your tall

If you want to know about an e38 740, then come and see mine ;)

I just noticed your in Wellington, so seriously. If you want to take a look/ride, give me a shout. I spent 6 months looking for this car in the UK.

Id be happy to meet up and have a chat.

Cheers martyyn, sounds good. We will probably start looking next month, so theres no rush at the moment.

I have a 1997 mag of a 740iL v S420 v Audi A8 and the Lexus LS400 or whatever its called, and the bimmer comes out on top. Its rear leg room is about twice that of the Mercedes. It's bloody huge.

Its rear leg room is about twice that of the Mercedes. It's bloody huge.

Yep thats the iL for you.

I dont know if it was fair to compare the rear legroom to the 'standard' merc as there is always the 740i to use.

My 750iL was enormous in the rear. Im 6'5 and even with the front seat all the way back, I could still sit in the seat behind it without my knees hitting the seat.

Basically you take the standard car, cut it in half just behind the b pillar, add 4.5 inches and weld it all back together. Not quite that simple but you know what I mean.

Ive just been sent a link to the german ebay site where a guy is selling the interior from a highline iL. He has the rear tables, the door cards, the seats and the center console with the drinks cabinet etc. :pimp:

Give me a shout if/when you want to have a poke around mine.

My old boss has a 740i he would sell. He's just too lazy to advertise it. It's here in Auckland though.

sheesh no with two sevens there wont be romm for anyone else.... :mellow: ,TORQUE TORQUE and MORE tourque eh martyn(and cain)