Sign in to follow this  
central3

2002 M3 SMG

Thoughts please here

Seems like good value but I guess the km's are the reason for this. Bearing in mind that this would be my second/toy car and that I would only do 5,000 km's or so per year I am not too phased by this

The SMG/km combination does phase me though. I have driven an SMG before and loved it but there are some horror stories out there. I would cover some of the risk off by taking out insurance but still worry about possible drama.

What other issues should I be looking out for?

this post is a must read before buying a M3 ....

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=20995

i hav the SMG gear box and i havent had any problems so far but ive heard people saying if some hydraulic pump goes it cost about $2500 to fixed, so its always good to have a bit of money hidden away

IMO well worth the risk

Edited by M3NTIL

I would do a write up on SMG, but to be honest I'd just be repeating this thread

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=231113

The above is the best source for all things SMG (bar the workshop manual and service tech information booklet).

There's a couple of things that can go wrong with the SMG, mainly eletrical (relays, sensors - there's multiple of them) and some hydraulic (the pump itself or the pressure accumulator) and the least mechanical (compression spring or synchronmesh).

All in all it is actually a fairly reliable system - the trouble is your generic OBD2 tools can't diagnose what is wrong with it. If any of you with a SMGII or SMGIII car wants a diagnostic on the Autoenginuity tool, hit me up - more than happy to hook it up and see what is wrong with it.