Sign in to follow this  
mackt

Peugeot 307

Hi

Good to see website back up!

My wife decided on a 2004 307 2.0 petrol with 4 speed auto/tiptronic gearbox - ex Japan

Long and short is - thought the gearbox was not as responsive as it should be and then developed a major "clunk" when it kicked down that was threatening to rip the engine from it's mounts!

Took it to the dealer to have the computers talk and inspection,looks like we are up for $3k to $5K to recondition!

So does anyone know what are best options are:

1. Recondition gearbox

2. Locate 2nd hand gearbox

3. Blow up car and run like the wind

3. Buy a 330i sedan?

Thanks in advance

1. Recondition gearbox

2. Locate 2nd hand gearbox

3. Blow up car and run like the wind

4. Buy a 330i sedan?

THOSE!

We are a BMW forum though so you would expect a reponse like this :D Talk to Heath aka DRTDVL he knows his stuff on Peugeots, bit of a Pug man

Edited by AJ-E30

THOSE!

We are a BMW forum though so you would expect a reponse like this :D Talk to Heath aka DRTDVL he knows his stuff on Peugeots, bit of a Pug man

Thanks for that - see thats what happens when you let your wife pick the car she likes the look of! Just couldn't get her to consider an M3

Hey Tim,

I work at the Peugeot dealership (for the past 8 years), and did my time on plenty of these pugs.

Not uncommon for them to have such transmission problems on the AL4 transmissions. Most of the issues we have ever had with them are hydraulic pressure related. Usually there are two solenoid valves in the transmission which bleed off the line pressure and when the pressure gets too low, the transmission warning light comes on and trans will lock in 3rd gear (limp home/downgraded mode). Usually gets that massive clunk too.

99% of the time its those valves that need replacement, but we have had Hydraulic block failures as well.

Valve replacements usually retail at about $1300-1400 incl. gst, but Hydraulic blocks can cost several thousand more. Check with them as to what the cause of the fault is, if it is the solenoid valves, Id get a second opinion/estimate

Spoke with my mechanic and he recommends getting the trans reconditioned vs a 2nd hand one.

He's been using Eastern Automatics who have been upgrading the early 307 production run solenoids with a Bogwarner solenoid which the later model 307's used.