Sign in to follow this  
kiwipetrolhead

e21 shimmy - not warped discs

Hi guys,

I have an ’83 e21 323i coupe that I’ve owned for about 11-12 years. Not long after I got it it developed a brake shimmy (after a hard thrash around Manfeild) so I replaced the big bushes in the front arms and that solved the problem. A couple of years ago the shimmy was gradually returning again and I was about to take the engine out to rebuild it. I did the engine up and also put on new front discs; pads reconditioned the brake booster and sleeved the M/Cylinder, etc... Then I got it going and took it in to get the bushes replaced again because I was too lazy to do it myself at home this time, and also do the wheel alignment. The Suspension Shop that did it has a very good reputation and has been around for years. The shop owner suggested I also look replacing the shocks to tighten the ride and handling up a bit - he did the same on a 2002 he said - put in some Toyota shocks apparently and the owner was wrapped with the results. I was keen, but thought I'd want a while since I'd just spent heaps on the engine and brakes. I also enquired about putting in neoprene bushes (is that the right material that the harder bushes are made from?) but he said an emphatic “No” because the standard suspension parts would not be able to handle the shock, so I left it at that.

Pretty soon after driving the car (just normally) the brake shimmy started coming back again. It returned very quick compared to the first time I did the bushes myself 10-odd years earlier, but gradually this time…no hard thrash around Manfeild.

Anyone got any suggestions?

The suspension guy said because the ride is so soft, the bushes work a lot harder and therefore wear out quicker, but I can’t see any reason why this happened so quick this time compared to the earlier experience. The shimmy is getting quite bad now, but the car still gets a WOF OK - I got a new one just today in fact.

When I can afford it I would like to tighten the suspension up a bit. The ride is factory standard and very ‘wallary’, but I'm not looking for a lowered or hard ride. I realise there are not very many e21's out there so maybe no one here can give me much help, but any suggestions very much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

I am no expert but i suspect that those bushes need replacing again. They will have worked pretty hard especially as you say the suspension is soft and the ride is wallowy. The suspension is normally softish but not that bad in the 323 so perhaps the springs are no longer up to spec and that combined with aging shocks will be working the bushes that much harder.

I have KYB shocks in mine and have just put some Jamex springs in, which have not only lowered the car but also stiffened the suspension and ride up noticably. Cornering is no longer quite the drama it was and no more floating!