Sign in to follow this  
sadida20

nz new

should say on prev owners the date first registered in NZ.....if ya cars NZ new will be same as year of production....like mine

should say on prev owners the date first registered in NZ.....if ya cars NZ new will be same as year of production....like mine

Hah .. yup i think that would be one of the most definate answer to whether it's NZ new or not ..

Except i have no previous owner papers .. bugger ..

Guest Andrew

Nope -

A dealers car could sell like 2 years after its built date.

Check the ownership papers - it says if its an import.

You can also get an Autocheck search done.

I think these are available from post office outlets, though comes at a cost ($10-15 each?).

That will give you an page with full details of your car, whether there is money owing on it, the previous owners & odometer readings at change of ownership & whether its been reported stolen.

check on the rego label, it has the date first registered on thur sumwhere as well, just gives ya a guideline.....

you can also tell by the number plates, although its possible a NZ new car has had personalised plates or something. But for example mine is an 87 and the plate starts with NK.... so its a NZ new.

Off topic but... if ya got those crappy black plates go and change them for the white plates. I think its only around 30 bucks and you get a new rego with the modern white plates.

There are certain advantages to black plates, a little dirt or grease on them and the number would be very hard to identify if a picture was taken. :ph34r:

a car could sell 2 years after build date.....but could also not

meaning that your car could be older, but not younger

you can also tell by the number plates, although its possible a NZ new car has had personalised plates or something. But for example mine is an 87 and the plate starts with NK.... so its a NZ new.

But what happens if someone brought the car in japan and it got imported into NZ in the same year ? wouldn't the build date, first reg date be the same year ?

Strangely equipped cars would also point to not NZ-new cars. For example a top-of-the-line 5 series with cloth seats etc. etc.

For those with black number plates you can upgrade to NZ euro plate for $90 for a pair. Go here.

Go to your local dealer with the VIN number and ask.

BMW HO in Auckland can actually give you a print out of your as delivered options too. However, they don't like to.

Go back in the deepest darkest history of rides and you'll see mine there if you want to see what one looks like.

Go to your local dealer with the VIN number and ask.

BMW HO in Auckland can actually give you a print out of your as delivered options too. However, they don't like to.

Go back in the deepest darkest history of rides and you'll see mine there if you want to see what one looks like.

I just did that, but didn't see the super stone chip option anywhere on the delivered options for your car..... :D

But what happens if someone brought the car in japan and it got imported into NZ in the same year ? wouldn't the build date, first reg date be the same year ?

Also those plates were issued at different rates around the country.

The first couple of letters bear _some_ relation to the year but they are not an accurate guide.

There are certain advantages to black plates, a little dirt or grease on them and the number would be very hard to identify if a picture was taken.  :ph34r:

Paint to hide your plate from cameras

Check this out : pretty insane if it does work. Never tried it myself

Edited by arros

Guest Andrew

Get a VIR (Vehicle Info Report) done - a car dealership may do it for you. Or go to the Post Office or LTSA agent and get your ownership papers.

When are you going to put the pics up of your 1987 Msport. The way that thing hauls I really think it is genuine. It's scary fast.