Sign in to follow this  
shaneg

Mining....

I think they should, as long as they can fill in the hole afterwards..

And it is nz companies that get to mine it.. and they go the right way about it.

It will help the economy, more labour orientated jobs.. etc.. everything people need right now.

Personally i think John Key will help our economy for the better..

People need to stop crying, its not like they are gonna burn the whole forest down..

Na, I tend to hang at ST Drivers for Mondeo Related Content but thanks for the link :D

Have a 323 as a daily and in the process of buying an E46 for the Mrs if I must justify my presence.

GL with your thread

Sweet, i'll look at becoming a mining employee and get back to you about that forum :lol:

I had a look at a few open cast mines in North Queensland last year, actually bloody interesting places.They have a phernominal about of investment invlovled with them. Towns are literally built around them over there

Guest Simon*

My Dad works at Stockton mine just north of Westport.

The Coasters are very parochial about mining and the benefits it brings to area. They've been there longer than the filthy unwashed Greenies and are a tough bunch. Don't mention the snails! :D

Even today there is still unbelievable money in coal.

I think, tightly controlled, and with limited "non-NZ" exploitation we could could drag up the wealth of the country quite a bit. Australia literally plucks great assloads of cash right out of the ground! We're going to struggle to ever compete with that with just a dairy monopoly and a spot of tourism.

I keep dreaming of the day they discover a huge oilfield with NZ's EEZ. Hello first-world economy!!! :D

The Coasters are very parochial about mining and the benefits it brings to area. They've been there longer than the filthy unwashed Greenies and are a tough bunch. Don't mention the snails! :D

I keep dreaming of the day they discover a huge oilfield with NZ's EEZ. Hello first-world economy!!! :D

Not going to get into this, but what he said.

Hope your old man didn't get to mixed up in the Stockton Alliance. Dad worked for Solid Energy for 33 years, they are a funny bunch, and need a good pruning around the top off the tree.

They start drilling in Southland next year :D

Guest Simon*

Not going to get into this, but what he said.

Hope your old man didn't get to mixed up in the Stockton Alliance. Dad worked for Solid Energy for 33 years, they are a funny bunch, and need a good pruning around the top off the tree.

They start drilling in Southland next year :D

It's all good mate he's working for a contracted supplier so he's not a "union mining man' ;)

He had 2 weeks off during the strike late last year 'cos they locked out all the other companies as well. The Stockton Alliance is majority-owned by an aussie corporation now anyway <_<

There are plenty of "Goldiggers" out there that are far worse for our wellbeing than a mining company

Ask any divorce lawyer!

I am personally opposed to any sort of mining. Even today I can still see the long lasting effects on the delicate Coromandel ecosystem from the Thames goldrush (underground mining) in the late 1800s. Mining rapes the environment, no matter how "safe" they claim it is. The risk is too great just to make a quick buck.

For some reason, unlike Australia etc., NZers think the best way to increase output and employment in NZ is to directly increase labour. Sure, it should be high on the agenda at the moment. But in the long run, there are so many other factors of production which will bring NZ back up to one of the richest countries which is where it really naturally should be. Quantity produced is not just a function of labour.

Australia puts much more money into capital (in an economic sense) which then makes production much more efficient, and makes use of the land (which NZ has surplus amounts of) in a much more efficient way as well.

Do this, and we can keep our tourism image alive - pluck great assloads of cash right out of foreigners pockets...

I hope Brash can curve our way of thinking with his new project to catch us up with Australia.

Do this, and we can keep our tourism image alive - pluck great assloads of cash right out of foreigners pockets...

I work in Tourism, it's seriously not as big of industry as people think, and it doesn't flow over on to local businesses in the way other industries do.

But most importantly, if tourism was to expand its effect on the environment would be far greater than mining.

Think, new coastal roads/tracks through national parks and the effects the tourists have on them and the all the tourist operations created. Seriously, walk down a 'path' off any rest area and look at the sh*t (literally). Tourists dont give an F about NZ.

Also its such a seasonal, unpredictable market, for a country to rely on this is ridiculous.

/end rant

Agree with Antony.

I have worked in hospitality for the last 10 years, and spend quite a bit of time in qtown, where i am at the moment,.

Take for instance last year and even this summer, really quiet year as the whole economic crap, one restaurant was down 40% against 2008.

And to increase it would mean more people, and yeah, they have to spend government money on walking tracks etc.

Lets say the dig somewhere remote, government could say, ok but you have to build such and such track for us or pay for sealing gravel roads etc..

And i would have to say, some kiwis are more unrespectful than most tourists ive met.. have a lot of invercargill and gore bogans chucking beer bottles and kfc wrappers on the side of the road, idiots.

One thing someone needs to do is market and sell water to china, we only you 1% of our water supply.. = $$$