Sign in to follow this  
MrDevine

E34 Yes Bilsteins, but do I need new springs?

I trawled through the old posts and came up with good info about upgrading the suspension on E34s. (It might be a good idea to do a sticky on E34 suspension info?)

My shocks are getting a bit dodge. The car dives under braking and it slams over cats eyes, this could have something to do with the BBS 17" rims too I realise. The car does 'boing' if you press down on each corner. Fronts are noticeably worse, which would make sense with that 4.0 engine in the front.

So the research says its Bilsteins all around. Plus H&R springs. Thing is I lowered the last E34 I had on B&G springs and it was pretty uncomfortable (however I didn't replace the shocks, so that will probably explain it?).

I got a quote from Autolign in Mt Wellington for Bilsteins installed for $1250 which I thought not too bad. Springs on top of that if I want.

I wouldn't mind if the car was about 10mm lower, but can't be bothered with a 20-30mm+ drop.

So my question is will the Bilsteins be enough to improve the handling and still keep a sweet ride?

C.

Guest Simon*

Mine's on Bilsteins and H&R's (with more than 10mm drop too) and the ride is firm, but not harsh I believe. Ultimately though it stays VERY flat under hard cornering so I don't mind sacrificing the odd little jolt for that ;)

I trawled through the old posts and came up with good info about upgrading the suspension on E34s. (It might be a good idea to do a sticky on E34 suspension info?)

My shocks are getting a bit dodge. The car dives under braking and it slams over cats eyes, this could have something to do with the BBS 17" rims too I realise. The car does 'boing' if you press down on each corner. Fronts are noticeably worse, which would make sense with that 4.0 engine in the front.

So the research says its Bilsteins all around. Plus H&R springs. Thing is I lowered the last E34 I had on B&G springs and it was pretty uncomfortable (however I didn't replace the shocks, so that will probably explain it?).

I got a quote from Autolign in Mt Wellington for Bilsteins installed for $1250 which I thought not too bad. Springs on top of that if I want.

I wouldn't mind if the car was about 10mm lower, but can't be bothered with a 20-30mm+ drop.

So my question is will the Bilsteins be enough to improve the handling and still keep a sweet ride?

C.

a 20 to 30 drop from std wil be fine.I have mtech set up and the car only is harsh if the road is uneven across the road if you know what i mean.Sharp bumps will be a bit harsh, but like Simon the result is a 5 that shrinks around you when hit the curvy bits.

Yeah I thought so, hope I didn't hear it wrong over the phone. Think I'll book it next week. Think I'll keep ride height standard.

If I had the manual 540se I'd drop it. But I just roll the motorway to work and back – I just like to feel the power, not everything else.

Will post how it goes.

Ace. C.

OK, so I've got the H&R's. Fantastic deal from Keith – $369.

Now down to Autolign for the Bilsteins. Should be ace.

Pick up the 40 tomorrow. Bilstein HD's + H&Rs. HOPE its sweet. Also the Autolign guys gave me the Monroe price originally. I think it will come to $1800 now including new rear mounts.

Bit nervous about the ride, but Glenn says it'll be sweet. Post pix laters.

Mr D.

Yeah, it really isn't that bad. Once you first hop in you might think it's terrible (but remember how soft it was before!)

Let us know how you find it

WOW, what a MASSIVE difference that is! Picked up the 40 from Autolign this morning.

Quite responsive but waaaayyy better at accepting the bumps. Can see why the Bilsteins are preferred. Rides around corners flat as.

Not too low either, sweet drop, but I think it might settle a little bit more over time?

Totally recommend this setup (Bilstein Heavy Duty + H&Rs) for an E34, it was $300 more expensive installed incl GST than Monroes, but if you're into your ride, I think totally worth it. Will post a pic soon.

Cher for the advice guys.

C.

post-3679-1269666910.jpg

!

Edited by Mr Devine