Sign in to follow this  
BlowMyWhistle

e34 m60 b30 transmission shifting

Hi y'all, I'm putting my car into the shop again this coming week, this time to look at the trans shifting.

History; when I first bought it the P/*/E switch didn't work. I got another one, same... so after that it 'came right', the P switch worked...

Bbbbut I think there was an 'incident' once, this would've been 2 years ago...

The trans wouldn't shift up when it was cold. In Sports mode it won't change outa 2nd until it hits about 3.5-4000rpm, just the first minute or so...

As I vaguely remember, it wouldn't shift up to #5th in E also until it was nice & warm...

Also, this is the point of this thread here...

In E it goes straight up to top gear, like blaaaah!

S, or is it P? Stays in gear to about 2000rpm usually, won't shift any higher than 4th? or maybe 5th, just not overdrive...

At the moment, & for the last couple years i've just gotten used to it, Sports around town E on the open road.

But now I've got a budget I'm getting it 'looked at'...

A few weeks back I got them to drop the pan , change the fiter & renew the fluid etc, very much improved shifting!

So the crux of this story, they want to look at the trans shifting programme again.

I'm a bit dubious, I reckon there's a fault somewhere, like a relay or a switch?

Somerthing simple in the trans shifting program?

They not opening up the trans again, but they could spend hours tracking down something that's pretty simple.

It's just an auto trans shop, They good, but I think I need an auto electrician?

Or somebody that knows BMW autos?

So does anybody have a similar experience?

Maybe your Rolls Royce does the same thing, same trans!

If I had an indication of where the fault lay, I could direct them to that, rather than spend $ on them experimenting?

Thanks, hope that's not too much information...