Sign in to follow this  
buta

bmw E39 sound balance problem

hi boys, i'm for Georgia. and sorry for my bad English...

i've got e39, and it's problem is that when engine is started autoradio's voice can heared only one side, on the left.... you can correct it, and and try to get it in center, ater this the balance is saved till stop engine.. when i take out the key the balance is uncorrected again and trying to correct it....

can you give me some advice..... :wacko:

Edited by buta

shorting out or it has lost its constant 12v supply and it's forgetting all its settings...wouldnt explain the full on left balance though...hopefully someone that knows abit more can chime in

no, the other settings all are saved, nothing is lost.... fade, treble, bass they all can be saved...

but only balance is lost..

someone help me.....

no, the other settings all are saved, nothing is lost.... fade, treble, bass they all can be saved...

but only balance is lost..

someone help me.....

I've fixed a few of these

The flash memory chip that stores the saved settings is corrupt and at end of life.

Every read returns corrupt data.

The chip is an 8p DIL chip, can be got from Jaycar for about $5 or so.

24LC16 SERIAL EEPROM 8 PIN DIP

I2C

Electrically Erasable PROM

Single supply voltage down to 1.8V

Low power CMOS technology

I2C compatible

Schmitt trigger inputs

Jaycar price NZD 4.90

It's the only memory chip on the whole board, so easy to locate.

To repair:

Remove old chip, read out contents with EEPROM programmer.

Program new chip with same contents (the fixed memory area containing config and serial number etc is not corrupt)

Solder new chip into board

Problem fixed.

Edited by jochen

i cant understand..... i dont know where i could find this chip.....can you give me some advice???tutorial???

with picture

i cant understand..... i dont know where i could find this chip.....can you give me some advice???tutorial???

with picture

The chip is extremely easy to locate on the board - take the cover off and look, and you see it straight away. There is only 1 memory chip on the main board!

But if you could not understand what I wrote then you do not have the knowledge or skills to locate, desolder and reprogram EEPROMs

So print the instructions, take them with the radio to an electronics repair shop, and ask them if they can do it for you.