Sign in to follow this  
bmpower

prefl 325i to fl 318i

Ok so looking for some more insight into this...

I want to use a fl shell as my new race car, ie cage it etc. I know my engine and gbox are pretty good in the current prefl car and want to put them into the new shell with everything working fine.

I want to get my research done and out the way before i start spending money and encountering problems. I need the e30 guru's to help with advice please....??

Plan:

Swap over engine, gearbox, engine loom, suspension from my prefl 325i m20 4dr into a fl 318i m40 2dr

Vehicles:

1986 325i Mot 1.1 Manual (factory, so g260?)

1990 318i gutted (no wiring, gbox, engine) with disc rear end & pedal box

What i've been told to make it work:

I need to install a fl 2dr 6cl body loom and speedo into the fl car

I need to bring the engine loom/computer from the prefl to the fl

If i do the above everything should work fine

What i need to know:

If the above is correct?

Will there be anything else i need to change ie. front subframe, other wiring etc?

Anything else that i haven't though of or shouldconsider/think about

Are all suspension components bolt in bolt out from prefl 4dr to fl 2dr

Is anything not bolt out bolt in prefl 4dr to fl 2dr

Does the medium case diff bolt straight into the fl 318i subframe?

Thanks!!!

you will probs have to do something with either the fuel pump, or the wiring, as the facelifts have an intank pump instead of inline. head and tail light plugs may or may not be different. suspension will all go in ok, motor and box will all bolt up ok. there may also be extra wiring for the rear doors that are in the pfl loom. mabey not though. depends on elec windows etc...

yes diff will bolt in. may be worth putting in the 325i axels though.

may need to change front subframe... i am unsure about that.

dash and dash wiring will go in the new shell all ok.

thats about all i can think of. apart from that it will be pretty much a straight swap.

you will probs have to do something with either the fuel pump, or the wiring, as the facelifts have an intank pump instead of inline. head and tail light plugs may or may not be different. suspension will all go in ok, motor and box will all bolt up ok. there may also be extra wiring for the rear doors that are in the pfl loom. mabey not though. depends on elec windows etc...

yes diff will bolt in. may be worth putting in the 325i axels though.

may need to change front subframe... i am unsure about that.

dash and dash wiring will go in the new shell all ok.

thats about all i can think of. apart from that it will be pretty much a straight swap.

Haven't checked fuel pump yet (some fl 318i's have external pumps so i'm told) headlight/taillight/elec windows/centrel lock are irrelevant - the plan is to install a fl 325i body loom with speedo, not my prefl loom as i want the entire speedo to work properly rather than loosing speedo/rev counter etc.

Front subframe looks similar, just engine mounts are different i think? Rear axles will prob be changed, as they are stronger in the 2.5. dash wiring will be from fl with fl speedo. engine loom with be prefl loom/comp

Front subframe is the same, F/L 318's come in all variants as far as the fuel pumps go, will just be luck if it works straight away, easy to change tho.

yeah they are the only things that could cause an issue... should be pretty straight forward once you get stuck into it..

im sure you dont need to change body looms just rewire the new c101 to accomadate the new engine, swap instrument slusters and go.

^if my memory serves my right the shell he has picked up has no current loom in it..

oh ok sorry was eating penut buter cruskits and got to involved in the awsomness of them.

Correct - the car i have has no loom whatsoever at the moment. I'm told i'm best to put a fl 6cyl one back in with fl 6cyl speedo cluster.

Is there anything else i need to take into consideration? Bearing in mind i'm a noob as far as what i'm about to do!

Are there any issues that would arise from having a fl body loom and prefl engine loom - provided they are both for m20 6cyl?

Edited by bmpower

your on to it the only difference that will cause fault if any will be the c101 diferences but thats real easy to work with .

your on to it the only difference that will cause fault if any will be the c101 diferences but thats real easy to work with .

Can you elaborate on this? Doesn't mean a thing to me at the moment!!

that is the plug that has to be changed when going from ljet to motronic. the round one (or square if pfl) by the fuse box for the engine loom. if you can, use a loom that came out of a car with the same motor and engine management system as what you are going to put it, ie pfl motor i with motronic 1.1 then get the loom that suits a pfl 325i you catch the drift? as long as that plug matches up the rest will be easy.

So do Mot 1.1 and Mot 1.3 use the same plug?

The current prefl m20 2.5 engine and loom which will be used will be Mot 1.1 and the body loom which will be used will be from a fl m20 325i which should be Mot 1.3

If Mot 1.1 & !.3 use different plug do i just need to get the engine loom one changed to fit? ie is it that easy?

Can anyone tell me if i need to change the subframe from the m40 fl to fit the m20 prefl? Do i need to change engine mount arms? Or can i just change the engine mounts to m20 ones?

Subframe's the same, just change the engine mounts.

Subframe's the same, just change the engine mounts.

Awesome, thanks Mr Fox!!

Can anyone think of anything i may by forgetting or not considering?

Research, Research, Research...!!!

Just go for it and cross the hurdles as they come. Can't go far wrong I don't think.

Just go for it and cross the hurdles as they come. Can't go far wrong I don't think.

Haha sweet - i didn't think there would/could be too many issues but its always good to ask first just incase!

Better start a project thread i guess! Gonna be a long slow process!