Sign in to follow this  
singhisking

Sound System for BMW 2004 318i

Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 318i and looking to upgrade the sound system.

I am looking to buy a decent head unit with Bluetooth and all that.

What I need help with is what amp and sub to buy? I need bit of grunt but not spending too much.

I amp I am looking at is PowerPlant 4 Channel Amplifier, PP-AM120040. I can get it for About $400 off Trademe.

or Pioneer PRS-D4000F, the Pioneer is used and about $50 cheaper.

What sort of sub woofer should I buy to go with these amps? I already have decent 6X9 I bought a while ago but after reading sticky topics here, I may just go with the original BMW ones.

The biggest questions is that I live in Wellington and who should I get it installed from? Someone who is good and charges genuine. Have a lots of friends who have worked on my older cars but BMW looks very complex. So I want to get it done professionally.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Amit

Heres what i would do..

New head unit... something like an alpine or eclipse head unit $400-$600

Panasonic 4ch amp aprox $300

JBL 2ch amp aprox $200

12" JBL dual voice coil sub $400 new.... or pm me if you want mine....

JBL or Pheonix gold front components 5" or if you want to fiddle you can fit 6" approx $300-500

JBL or elcipse rears (something with a large amount of power, doesnt matter about range) approx $300

Use the 4ch amp for all ur speakers, use the fronts for high/mid

rears for mids

sub for 60hz and under.

if its tuned right this can make an awsome sound system..

used to have this in my old e46... was awsome for the money spent.

Go and see keiren and norman ross or email him keiran.beytagh@normanross.co.nz

tell him oli sent you.. he is the car audio god. he can tell you what to use/not to use and has sharp prices and lots of hookups..

For installs in Wellington, get in touch with a guy called Dave. He's on nzicemag forums and goes under the name of DeeCee. There's alot of DIYers down there who down excellent installs.

That Fusion PP amp is a 4x125rms and isn't a great deal for $400. Average but you're not getting a bargain.

What's your entire budget? And what are you looking for out of it? Do you want big bass or more of a sound quality focus

For installs in Wellington, get in touch with a guy called Dave. He's on nzicemag forums and goes under the name of DeeCee. There's alot of DIYers down there who down excellent installs.

That Fusion PP amp is a 4x125rms and isn't a great deal for $400. Average but you're not getting a bargain.

What's your entire budget? And what are you looking for out of it? Do you want big bass or more of a sound quality focus

Hi Rogan,

Thanks for that.

My budget is around $1000, i can spend little bit more if its worth it. I don't want huge bass or sound or anything. I will be using the car as my company car and will be driving a lot, so need something better than factory standard stereo. I want 1 good quality 4 channel amp, a 12" or may be 15" sub, I have bought a Panasonic stereo and I have 6X9 Panasonic speakers. So I may need better front speakers. I think it can be done under $1000???

Thanks for your help.

ok in this instance I'll offer some advice too.

With your limited Budget, I would do the following.

Get the Fusion amp, But honestly I would troll trademe and pick an Fusion FP1404 (can be had between $150 - $200). Very solid strong amp. Also Around 150wrms x 4.

I'm not one for 6x9's what so ever. However I know the limitations you guys have in your BMW's.

You will struggle to get the 6x9's in the back it would imply not be worth it.

with your requirements you could get away spending around $250 - $400 on your components. for the front.

To make things easy for you stay with 6" components. Or if you are willing to struggle or pay for installation install upgrade the speaker wiring at the same time. No too Deep of a Component as it just bolts to the Door skim. Preferably You may want to make a hole in the door for the Speaker to vent to?

Then Installing a sub or two. Remove rear speakers so the sub can vent into the cabin.

But As Rogan suggested that is another way. Dave (Aka DeeCee) does know his way around those cars. So he could recommend or possibly supply/install all the gear for you too.

ok in this instance I'll offer some advice too.

With your limited Budget, I would do the following.

Get the Fusion amp, But honestly I would troll trademe and pick an Fusion FP1404 (can be had between $150 - $200). Very solid strong amp. Also Around 150wrms x 4.

I'm not one for 6x9's what so ever. However I know the limitations you guys have in your BMW's.

You will struggle to get the 6x9's in the back it would imply not be worth it.

with your requirements you could get away spending around $250 - $400 on your components. for the front.

To make things easy for you stay with 6" components. Or if you are willing to struggle or pay for installation install upgrade the speaker wiring at the same time. No too Deep of a Component as it just bolts to the Door skim. Preferably You may want to make a hole in the door for the Speaker to vent to?

Then Installing a sub or two. Remove rear speakers so the sub can vent into the cabin.

But As Rogan suggested that is another way. Dave (Aka DeeCee) does know his way around those cars. So he could recommend or possibly supply/install all the gear for you too.

Thanks everyone for your input. Its a lot help.

Thanks again

Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 318i and looking to upgrade the sound system.

I am looking to buy a decent head unit with Bluetooth and all that.

What I need help with is what amp and sub to buy? I need bit of grunt but not spending too much.

I amp I am looking at is PowerPlant 4 Channel Amplifier, PP-AM120040. I can get it for About $400 off Trademe.

or Pioneer PRS-D4000F, the Pioneer is used and about $50 cheaper.

What sort of sub woofer should I buy to go with these amps? I already have decent 6X9 I bought a while ago but after reading sticky topics here, I may just go with the original BMW ones.

The biggest questions is that I live in Wellington and who should I get it installed from? Someone who is good and charges genuine. Have a lots of friends who have worked on my older cars but BMW looks very complex. So I want to get it done professionally.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Amit

I got a 1999 E46 318i, and have 2 soundstream subs, 2 soundstream amps, soundstream rears and fronts and tweeters. The soundstream subs cost me 88$ each but i have quite a heavy duty amp, (wich u shouldnt need if your only going to have one sub) The setup in my old car with the same sub cost me 400$ for the sub and soundstream amp, and soundstream arent a bad brand...