Sign in to follow this  
tire

WTB bilstein / other stiff E30 shocks

I'm having rubbing issues on the back of my 325i touring under hard acceleration so I want to change the monroes for something stiffer, like bilsteins. I only really need the rears but beggars can't be choosers.

If you have some for sale please pm me or text 027 354 5576.

Can swap for any of a multitude of other E30 parts, including the near new nice and comfy monroes that are already in there!

Max.

Surely that is also a spring rate issue? Dampers will only really change the rate at which the car pitches, not as much the extent at which the car pitches.

I think you're right, more spring dependent than shock.

Oh, ok. I've got voigtlands in the back are they pretty soft?

Or....your wheels are the wrong fitment? If you want to keep the wheel fitment - then run more camber and roll the bollocks out of the guards.

The solution is definitely not to reduce the travel, but to get the wheel and tyre inside the guard under full compression.

can you send us a pic of the back wheels? so we get an idea of where its sitting and where its rubbing? but yeah, probs what jib said.

Or....your wheels are the wrong fitment? If you want to keep the wheel fitment - then run more camber and roll the bollocks out of the guards.

The solution is definitely not to reduce the travel, but to get the wheel and tyre inside the guard under full compression.

I didn't think camber was adjustable in E30s, even if it was I wouldn't want any more of it for the sake of tyre preservation. The wheels are 16x8 +12, and I want to put an 8mm spacer on the back. My guards could be rolled more I guess.

I understand fitting a 45 profile tyre (currently has a 50) would help too, but what effect would this have on speedo reading?

Thanks for your help JiB

i have 205-45-16 on the back of mine. the tyre is tucked under the guard. it doesnt rub as it is but if i put 50s on there it would.

Ok, if you want to compromise - you probably need to roll the guards and get more stretch.

The ideal 16x8 size is 225/45R16, but this is going to rub. So you probably want 195/50R16 which will read a couple of k's faster. But that profile would probably look lame or something, so you'd want 195/45R16 which would read 5k's faster than normal sized tyres.

I'd run a higher offset wheel with 225/45R16's :P

Edited by JiB

Ok, if you want to compromise - you probably need to roll the guards and get more stretch.

The ideal 16x8 size is 225/45R16, but this is going to rub. So you probably want 195/50R16 which will read a couple of k's faster. But that profile would probably look lame or something, so you'd want 195/45R16 which would read 5k's faster than normal sized tyres.

I'd run a higher offset wheel with 225/45R16's :P

They already have 195/50R16, they don't look lame cause the stretch makes the sidewall look smaller, but they need to be replaced because they've been eaten by the guard lip, so I'l go for a 45 and roll the guards further. If a 50 profile reads faster and a 45 profile reads slower, wtf reads normally?

PS, I still want stiffer rear shocks. Hit me upski.

Sorry, I was probably not very clear. But if you read my post carefully, it says both 195/50R16 and 195/45R16 read faster than stock.

The profile on the side of the tyre wall is a percentage of the width of the tyre.

So, if factory size is 195/65R14, 205/50R16, 225/45R16 will read pretty much the same.

195/50R16 will read faster, because it has a smaller sidewall than 205/50R16

195/45R16 will read even faster, because it has a smaller sidewall than 195/50R16. To be precise, it will read 4.5k's faster than normal.

So assuming the E30 speedo is accurate (which it isn't), and with 195/65R14's it reads a 100kph and you are travelling 100kph, then a 195/45R16 will read at 95.5kph.

Here is an easy to understand reference for comparing tyres.

Hope that makes sense.

I ran vogtlands and got mean rubbage. Chucked in some eibachs.. Mint as, doesnt even rub with a full car load. Thats with a 16x9 at et10 with a 215/40. Also, (not a great idea, but it works) chuck in two lots of rubber bump stops and youll be away laughing! One knob on the top, and one on the bottom

Edit: I will sell my whole setup for $1300 - Bilstein and eibach, vogtland in the front. Tight as, handles awesome

Edited by SIR E30

Yip that makes perfect sense, I see where I misread it. Cheers!

Got some rear bilshtoins form APT. Thanks.