Sign in to follow this  
danthaman01

Headlight Upgrades

Been driving a bit at night lately and it seems my lights arent very bright at all

What can I do? I want to get better visability and a white light if I can.. I did a search of the forum but its just made me more confused

Can I use a HID kit? Say something from DDM tuning or is this all illegal?

or should I just upgrade the bulbs, if you have give me a suggestion of what you used please

Cheers

Been driving a bit at night lately and it seems my lights arent very bright at all

What can I do? I want to get better visability and a white light if I can.. I did a search of the forum but its just made me more confused

Can I use a HID kit? Say something from DDM tuning or is this all illegal?

or should I just upgrade the bulbs, if you have give me a suggestion of what you used please

Cheers

HID bulbs in non-HID ens is dangerous and illegal - the lens is not made for HID, and it scatters light into incoming drivers. Most countries require automatic headlight levelers to ensure that the light from a HID bulb cannot ever be mal-adjusted and blind oncoming drivers.

Check your lens and reflectors are spotlessly clean, inside and out

Fit new light bulbs, their output deteriorates with time.

I got a set of some ultra white ones or something from repco, they are like $100 for a pack but are way birghter than OEM

In order of cost:

First thing to do is your reflectors aren't dirty or corroded (the shiny surface is aluminium and will corrode if the lamps leak).

Then make sure the headlamps are aligned properly (check them on a proper beam setter - not against a wall).

Then look at using a quality bulb (like Philips, Hella, or Osram from your local auto sparky - make sure they have an E mark and are low UV - this can damage polycarbonate lenses). Don't use cheap Chinese bulbs like Race Auto as the quality and bulb life can be sketchy and they can emit higher UV. You could also consider the +30% (light output) or +50% versions although they don't last as long. What ever you do make sure the bulb wattage is correct - if you use 70W bulbs you will melt lamp components. And don't touch the glass when you are installing them.

If you still need more light for driving out of the city, you could look at additional driving lights (high beams only - you are only allowed 1 pair of low beams).

And if you still have trouble, have an eye check....

HID burners in a non-HID headlamp is dangerous and illegal. Don't do it!

I've been using "Narva +50" forever now, Definately reccomended by me.

Never had an issue with life of the bulbs.