Sign in to follow this  
58rabbit

transmission problems

had the auto serviced on the wife's '96 323i coupe and now when she slows to almost a stop, like a giveway, then accelerates the thing hesitates before clunking into first. it seems to do this most of the time now but I experimented earlier this evening and found that it doesn't do it if 4th is selected rather than 5th. haven't tried either the sport or snow mode to see if that makes any difference. what I would like to know is this in any way related to the "Jatco Jerk" I have been reading about here or is it something completely different? also is it worth having the tranny recoed or is cheaper to have a conversion to manual done, and where, if a conversion is the preferred option can I have that done? hoping you guys can help me out here :huh: the missus is not too happy atm. cheers

had the auto serviced on the wife's '96 323i coupe and now when she slows to almost a stop, like a giveway, then accelerates the thing hesitates before clunking into first. it seems to do this most of the time now but I experimented earlier this evening and found that it doesn't do it if 4th is selected rather than 5th. haven't tried either the sport or snow mode to see if that makes any difference. what I would like to know is this in any way related to the "Jatco Jerk" I have been reading about here or is it something completely different? also is it worth having the tranny recoed or is cheaper to have a conversion to manual done, and where, if a conversion is the preferred option can I have that done? hoping you guys can help me out here :huh: the missus is not too happy atm. cheers

The tech guru's are going to tell you to get it scanned to ID the prob before you start panicking.

Did your shop reset the adaptions when it was serviced-this can sometimes help if it is the jerk.

The jatco jerk thread here will answer your questions.

FYI-put your location in your profile then we can direct you to the appropriate people to help you.

Sounds like the flaring that usually comes after the jerk. When mine does it, it feels like it's slipped into neutral for a second or so, then goes into second. Does it do a similar thing when you're accelerating from a standstill?

I thought when mine did the same, it was because of the jatco jerk!! But after getting underneath and giving it a clean i noticed the diff was leaking oil(very slowly) and the diff oil was down...got diff repaired and changed oil and now the problem is gone. just an idea!

Sounds like the flaring that usually comes after the jerk. When mine does it, it feels like it's slipped into neutral for a second or so, then goes into second. Does it do a similar thing when you're accelerating from a standstill?

took for a long drive this morning after I "reset" the trans ie turn on ignition and floor the accelerator and wait 30 secs, didnt hear the clunk, anyway took for drive and the thing performed ok with no hesitation at all so I dunno what the problem is. btw it has always had the "flaring" between 2nd and 3rd since we've had it. didnt really think too much of it until I started reading about it on here. anyway my wife talked to the workshop and they are going to "put it on the computer" and I will also mention about resetting the "codes". cheers for all the suggestions, really appreciate it

hey guys just an update to let you know, those who are interested, seem the problem turned out to be not enough transmission fluid. apparently it was put on the computer and no faults showed up.

and just an aside, the car may be for sale. the missus think we dont need 2 cars atm so we are thinkin about selling the beemer and keeping the subi for towing the 'ski. if anyones interested let us know and I'll post some pics.

cheers

p

Edited by 58rabbit