Sign in to follow this  
myniu

E39 washer tank leaking?

Hello dudes

Lately I noticed there might a leakage of my washer. In the beginning I noticed there were water in my garage which I thought it is just the "rain water". And for the last few days the on-board computer keeps reminding me "WASHER FLUID LOW", so I just added some more water and noticed more water on my garage floor. AND the same message showed everyday now. I suppose I better find someone check it then. I was waiting for my next WOF since it should just be something minor. When I got my car, I knew they replaced my water pump and that might be the cause of the problem if they didn't seal the pump correctly. Can someone suggest what I should do?

And just wondering how much it might cost me to have someone check for me?

Regards

Michael

Hello dudes

Lately I noticed there might a leakage of my washer. In the beginning I noticed there were water in my garage which I thought it is just the "rain water". And for the last few days the on-board computer keeps reminding me "WASHER FLUID LOW", so I just added some more water and noticed more water on my garage floor. AND the same message showed everyday now. I suppose I better find someone check it then. I was waiting for my next WOF since it should just be something minor. When I got my car, I knew they replaced my water pump and that might be the cause of the problem if they didn't seal the pump correctly. Can someone suggest what I should do?

And just wondering how much it might cost me to have someone check for me?

Regards

Michael

Welcome to the site Michael.

This topic has been discussed a few times on here over time - advise to search the site for info.

It will be the washer pump - a very common failure in these cars. Because of this - would advise to replace with a new unit. Pump / washer bottle is located behind the drivers front inner guard. An easy enough job to tackle.

Welcome to the site Michael.

This topic has been discussed a few times on here over time - advise to search the site for info.

It will be the washer pump - a very common failure in these cars. Because of this - would advise to replace with a new unit. Pump / washer bottle is located behind the drivers front inner guard. An easy enough job to tackle.

Thank you for the reply. Just wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere to go? I live in North Shore, Auckland

Many thanks

For new pump - I guess JC BMW & them to do the job if you can't.

For new pump - I guess JC BMW & them to do the job if you can't.

$_$.......I hope I can hold it until my next WOF which is end of Oct....

$_$.......I hope I can hold it until my next WOF which is end of Oct....

Not too bad - under $100 from memory for the pump

If the washer pump still works, you may just need a new seal $6.50 retail + GST. and i am on the North Shore.

If the washer pump still works, you may just need a new seal $6.50 retail + GST. and i am on the North Shore.

Might be a dumb question but do you also offer the install as well?

I thought you only sell parts^^"

I only sell parts. Not sure what access is like on the E39, but on E46 it is a 10 minute job. If you are over this way call in and I will have a quick look if you like.

Easy Job -

Jack up the front drivers side and remove wheel.

Remove the inner plastic guard - wil be either clips or screws, depending if it has been off before

The tank is tucked in between the wheel and the drivers door - the motor is an easy unplug swap, and the seal is even easier - just pull the motor upwards and swap out the seal.

Be a little careful, as the bottle can be brittle due to age and can crack if you are rough, especially where the motor mounts.

If your E39 has the intensive wash motor / tank ( attached to the drivers side strut tower, under the bonnet ) and you do not use intensive wash, you can swap the motors if you would rather not buy a new motor.

Best of luck :)