Sign in to follow this  
danutt

if you have an m50 with an alternator issue

thinking of doing a few alternators for the chaps here on bimmersport for way less than market rate

ive done my own alternator and have got all the tools so for a little bit of extra money i thought id do some more people a favor and save them alot of cash you could use on other stuff

if you want new bearings put in without a new regulator itll be $100 all up (i do suggest you change the regulator at the same time though)

new regulator and bearings will be $300 all up

yes you could get a secong hand alternator but it would not last nearly as long or maybe ull be lucky and it does

and a brand new one is around $1400 (got this price from an auto electrician)

so my number is 021 148 6554

turn around time would be 2 days and a maximum of 3 days

Regulators are solid state - either work or not & can last 5 mins or forever.

No reason to replace them as of routine - they are not consumable as are brushes/bearings

fair call i got mine apart and had a look at the bushes and they were very low and the car is on 195000kms still think it is a good idea to replace regulator considering its close to $80 to have new bushes soldered in to old regulator and there no gaurantee itl work after its been soldered apart and put back together

but yip replacing the reg would be your choice, id disassemble and check if it needs replacing first though:)

cheers

I have done zillions (not quite) over the years.

Brushes are cheap - about $6 -10 or so a set & while apart about 5-10 mins to fit.

It depends entirely on the problem with the unit - straight forward worn brushes, noisy bearings or an electrical problem - regulator/rectifier/rotor/stator - all of which require testing accordingly.

haha well when i took my regulator in for exactly that i could get the bushings for $30 cheapest and then plus about an hours labour but have no idea where you got yours from for the m50 alternator i think its a bit different but all i was offering was a cheap repair for some bimmersport members :)

thanx mate

He's an auto sparky, so gets them at the best price obviously.

the brushes were easy az to replace on the e30's but i found it different on the m50

alternator model number is 0120 465 031

couldnt replace the brushes myself though

but either way my bearings went and if they fail id imagine it would cause a big issue since the m50 uses a serpentine belt for water pump etc

so if anyone cant do it themselves ill do it for a good rate and save you the time

cheers

He's an auto sparky, so gets them at the best price obviously.

makes sense haha i hunted for better prices for the m50 alternator bushings but $30 was the best and then some labour on top

just trying to make things a bit cheaper for the bmw owner :)

cheers