Sign in to follow this  
Deano

E36 320i poor performance when warm

Firstly its a 09/92 NZ new 320i vanos factory manual. No CAT or emission control.

Its non-EWS and runs 5wk9 002 ECU MS40.1

Can the fault codes be read from the diagnostic connector? A friends "Peak" reader didn't work but ok on his 94 850i and another firm in Chch said the codes cannot be read.

Problem is poor acceleration (leaning out i think)when warm. Gradual opening of the throttle (less air) and the car performs near normal. Open the throttle, lots of induction noise, sometimes backfire in the airbox and no power.

Perfect from dead cold, and if I plug another temp sensor to trick the ECU to thinking its cold when warm it runs good.

Idles perfect, warm or cold. Checked and rechecked for vacuum leaks.

So I'm thinking it runs good on the fixed fuel map for cold, when its warm its looking for inputs from the sensors and its not getting one and not giving enough gas. The only thing I haven't tried is a new ECU and MAF. The MAF had been replaced by the previous owner, is the correct one and compared to another 320 when I disconnected the MAF it ran way better than mine so probably not the MAF. I reckon on the ECU. Its been repaired previous due to moisture but the previous owner assured after that it ran good. I have has a hard time trying to find an ECU to try.

Any ideas.

Should be able to have the fault codes read I would have thought.

Also not sure what this (on the right) plugged into..Cable tied to the O2 harness - it looks as though it was plugged into something as its nice and clean but cannot trace any wires to the ECU plug and cant find the colours on the wiring diagram.

Thanks

Edited by Deano

Had the codes read..it can be done and had live data. The readings were random and confused..Suspect the ECU so going to try that. Posted WTB ECU