Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

E38 Boot closing sensor

I've been installing bits and pecies in the back of my E38 740i. It has the automatic opening and closing boot lid.

Currently it has a problem which is it's giving me a warning that the trunk is open, but it's not. The trunk also won't auto open as it won't it already thinks it's open, so tried to pump up the hydraulic lifter, but nothing happens. I have to open the trunk using the key, then it will raise up.

Any ideas?

I've been installing bits and pecies in the back of my E38 740i. It has the automatic opening and closing boot lid.

Currently it has a problem which is it's giving me a warning that the trunk is open, but it's not. The trunk also won't auto open as it won't it already thinks it's open, so tried to pump up the hydraulic lifter, but nothing happens. I have to open the trunk using the key, then it will raise up.

Any ideas?

check the micro switch on the boot latch inside the boot lid, make sure it is working properly (measure it!)

Another common problem is a broken wire in the rubber boot between boot and car body (where the wires flex all the time)

Take the lining off the boot lid to check both problems. Easy to find and fix.

check the micro switch on the boot latch inside the boot lid, make sure it is working properly (measure it!)

Another common problem is a broken wire in the rubber boot between boot and car body (where the wires flex all the time)

Take the lining off the boot lid to check both problems. Easy to find and fix.

Thanks Jochen

The wiring between the boot lid and trunk is my number 1 suspect. My plate light failed when I run the reversing camera video feed through there, and when i couldn't find an ACC feed in the boot lid I had to run the reversing camera power wire through there and DAMN it took hours.

What is stange is that all the wires have been joined at some stage just inside the gromlet (boot lid replacement?). This was where my platelight wire was broken.

You may know - is there an ACC pickup point in the rear right of the E38, and if not, is there a ACC feed on the left side, and if so, which plug would it be in. Hotwire says i should look for a violet/white wire.

Jim

Thanks Jochen

The wiring between the boot lid and trunk is my number 1 suspect. My plate light failed when I run the reversing camera video feed through there, and when i couldn't find an ACC feed in the boot lid I had to run the reversing camera power wire through there and DAMN it took hours.

What is stange is that all the wires have been joined at some stage just inside the gromlet (boot lid replacement?). This was where my platelight wire was broken.

You may know - is there an ACC pickup point in the rear right of the E38, and if not, is there a ACC feed on the left side, and if so, which plug would it be in. Hotwire says i should look for a violet/white wire.

Jim

Jim, As I said - purple/white is acc in BMW - just need to find one. I haven't seen an E38 for a while. If there is no purple /white in RHS - there is in the left somewhere, for one - the radio tuner (in LHS) has an acc input, so may the nav unit pre wiring - you will find one somewhere there to tap into. Have supplied cameras to several people with E38's - not had anyone not be able to find a supply