Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Anyone know any Hard Drive formatting software?

Hey guys, I went to back up my pc this afternoon and i plugged my 1TB HD into my computer and tried to open it, came up with "you need to format this drive do you wish to continue"

i clicked yes and it came up with this drive cannot be formatted, i tried this on XP and 7 and the same thing happened.

I have tried to format through right clicking the drive, Command prompt and computer management but no luck.

I don't need the data but do want to format it, does anyone know any format software or have any idea or suggestion.

This is the error when i try too open it!

post-5369-1285217215.jpg

Cheers heaps

Edited by cliffdunedin

r-studio might be able recover the data depending on how the disc is damaged.

Partition Magic is also another piece of software that you can use.

Thanks mate i'll check them out soon.

I checked out the Western digital site and found their Data Lifeguard Diagnostic test this is what it came up with...

post-5369-1285218497.jpg

and this was the command prompt error

post-5369-1285218564.jpg

Just incase someone knows what they mean...cause i don't :lol:

Cheers

have you gone inside of control panel > computer management > storage management and deleted the partition before formatting? if that doesn't work i would suggest taking the drive out of the enclosure and plugging it in to the motherboard and trying to format it.

What service pack is your XP?

Or it just could be that a drive is dead.

Service pack 3 and i hope its not dead...it's only been used about 3 times, and a lost receipt :(

have you gone inside of control panel > computer management > storage management and deleted the partition before formatting?

Tried to format on win 7 but no partition came up!

I think you may have to plug it directly into the mobo, just to by pass the enclosure so you know its not that causing the problem.

Tried to format on win 7 but no partition came up!

Im asuming you tried it on different pc? If so might be stuffed

I'll give a few of the suggested programmes ago...and if no luck might drop it into a comp store tomorrow.

did you boot into the command prompt, or did you use the command prompt within Windows?

if you make a bootable usb drive, or cd, then use that and format via the command prompt

That drive has bad sectors, take it back IMO.

Even if you have one bad sector, or any smart error, you are entitled to a replacement under warranty.

Edited by antil33t

if you bought from DSE take it into the store and get them to do it. if not they will exchange it out.

That drive has bad sectors, take it back IMO.

Even if you have one bad sector, or any smart error, you are entitled to a replacement under warranty.

if you bought from DSE take it into the store and get them to do it. if not they will exchange it out.

Yep bought it from d*ck Smiths but the receipt got thrown out :unsure:

dont worry we can get it by the card that you paid with. or your name if they took it. but just to fix it they dont need anything.

Just walk in and say bought this ________ ago and it wont reformat could you guys give it a go?

If it fails ask for a exchange or for it to be sent away.

When did you buy it?

If it fails ask for a exchange or for it to be sent away.

When did you buy it?

I bought it about 6 months ago from a d*ck Smiths in Auckland, would they still exchange or fix it dwn here (Dunedin)

Take it back anyway. Maybe they'll replace it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

I bought it about 6 months ago from a d*ck Smiths in Auckland, would they still exchange or fix it dwn here (Dunedin)

Thanks for the suggestions guys

its a little bit harder but they should still be able to find the paper work and yea we go thought the same thing ^^^^^ so yea could get them to try fix it.

If you where in P North it would be easy i would sus you out.

Thanks mate, I checked that out earlier.

its a little bit harder but they should still be able to find the paper work and yea we go thought the same thing ^^^^^ so yea could get them to try fix it.

If you where in P North it would be easy i would sus you out.

Thanks for that mate^^^will pop into Dickies if i don't have any luck ;)

Fingers crossed, i now have it formatting through computer management! Now the looonnnggg wait. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help everyone.