Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Rained out ski holiday

Just got back on Thursday from Mt Ruapehu. Went up on the 24th and got our 1st days skiing the following Tuesday (which was perfect). The next day was wet so by 10.30 we were all soaked and by thursday (based on the forecasts) came back to Wellington. Of course Friday was OK LOL.

This seems to have been the worst North Island ski season I can recall. Last year we skiied 23 days, this year about 7!

Yeah, it has been appalling, poor snow fall combined with crap weather. I was also there last Tuesday, super nice day.

I never book accommodation far out for 2 reasons.

1) I can't afford to, so sleep in the car when staying for 1+ day.

2) The weather could be doing anything, as you said.

Still though, season's going 'til 7th November, the next month might compensate for the slow start.. I'm hoping to get in 15 days total by the end of the season.

Take a holiday down south (next season) you're almost guaranteed to get really nice days the majority of the time. And no queues.

Yeah, it has been appalling, poor snow fall combined with crap weather. I was also there last Tuesday, super nice day.

I never book accommodation far out for 2 reasons.

1) I can't afford to, so sleep in the car when staying for 1+ day.

2) The weather could be doing anything, as you said.

Still though, season's going 'til 7th November, the next month might compensate for the slow start.. I'm hoping to get in 15 days total by the end of the season.

Take a holiday down south (next season) you're almost guaranteed to get really nice days the majority of the time. And no queues.

Seriously considering a week down South next winter; the snow is better 99% of the time and there are a lot more ski days. We are failrly committed to Ruapehu though as we have lifetime passes for Ruapehu so the cost isn't so bad (if you forget how much 4 lifetime passes cost!).

Last year we came up for a lot of weekends and hired houses in Turangi using bookabatch - there is some bargins there and unlike Ohakune most don't insist on the 2 nites minimum on the weekend.

Will do a midweek day trip if it looks perfect with my Son and ski the High Noon Express. Some really nice black runs out to the right as you ride up the lift.

Dont have that problem down here in QT or wanaka!! In maybe 200 times skiing I can't ever Recall it raining on the mountains during the season.

Seriously considering a week down South next winter; the snow is better 99% of the time and there are a lot more ski days. We are failrly committed to Ruapehu though as we have lifetime passes for Ruapehu so the cost isn't so bad (if you forget how much 4 lifetime passes cost!).

Last year we came up for a lot of weekends and hired houses in Turangi using bookabatch - there is some bargins there and unlike Ohakune most don't insist on the 2 nites minimum on the weekend.

Will do a midweek day trip if it looks perfect with my Son and ski the High Noon Express. Some really nice black runs out to the right as you ride up the lift.

I'm up at turoa tomorrow. I don't think there's bugger all runs on Turoa that are really worthy of being labelled black. But yeah there's so much fun terrain out there, especially when it's soft. You can hit almost anything.

Dont have that problem down here in QT or wanaka!! In maybe 200 times skiing I can't ever Recall it raining on the mountains during the season.

Rubbish. I've skied 12 days down south over the last 3 years and have had it rain on 2 occasions.

Not arguing that SI isn't better 75% of the time, but it isn't the be all and end all of skiing.

I went up on the 18th september and came home onthe 25th just as school holidays started. I got 30 minutes on the mountain (ruapehu).

Count yourself lucky you got any decent amounts of time.

Rubbish. I've skied 12 days down south over the last 3 years and have had it rain on 2 occasions.

Not arguing that SI isn't better 75% of the time, but it isn't the be all and end all of skiing.

Rubbish??? Yeah, so those 12 days in 3 years makes you an expert!!

If you actually read what i said, i mentioned about the at least 200 times in the past i have hit either Coronet, Remarks, Cardrona, TC or even Ohau and can't recall that it has rained on the mountain...not that miraculously it does not rain ever!!!

maybe it has something to do with geography or height of mountain but i'm sure that anyone whom regularly hits the S Island trails, would also say that very very occasionally does it rain on the mountain,

Edited by cliffdunedin

200 days and no rain? You're full of sh*t.

think what you want, i'm just saying from my experience i have had not experienced rain on the mountain...often in town or on the way up it's raining but once over the cloud line it's fine.

anyways i don't wanna argue about silly trivial sh!t... let's just say you have been on the Central otago mountains a handful of time and are right!

I was down in Wanaka for 10 days this season and was rained out 3 of those days :( it was pretty sh*t. The other 7 days were awesome though.

Whilst still hit and miss, the quality of the riding is much better at Cardies and TC