Sign in to follow this  
decebal

First time contributor, long time reader

Hello everyone, thought I'd finally register and start contributing since I am about to purchase my first BMW. Loved them for a very long time and now that I'm about to finish university and start a new job, it's possible to get the car I want!

I was very keen for a E39 540i MSport for a very long time but finances won't allow to get one in the condition that I'd like so decided to go for a E46 320i/325i/328i sedan and of course Msport edition. I have spotted a few on TradeMe and will be purchasing one in Christchurch, in two weeks once exams finish!

I am interested in this one quite a bit:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=326673805

AND

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=324849086

Provided I can negotiate a bit on the price, should be a go after an AA appraisal.

Any thoughts on them?

Anyways looking forward to joining the family properly with my first BM and meeting some of you at the events!

Welcome.

Guess it all depends on what you are going to use the car for, The 320 is down a bit on power compared to the the 325 which you should be able to pickup for the same price and same year as you are looking at. Even the 330's are coming down in price all the time and are a good option but hard to find in the spec's you are looking for.

When i went looking for mine I could not find a 330 that was not silver or have the option's I wanted. I settled on a 325 which I am more than happy with and the only thing I did to it was retrofit the steering wheel control's for naff all which also gives you cruise control.

Forget the AA appraisal, get a pre purchase inspection done by Jeff Gray here, May be a little more $$ to get it done but in the long run is worth it as they know what they are looking at and for.

I second the pre purchase inspection, AA approval is ok but they are a generalised test along the board not specific.

I get a funny feeling from the 320's trader, he claims he's registered trader/dealer yet trades as a private...just that and some of his ad seem off.

Oh and welcome to Bimmersport dude...glad to see another Dunners guy on board.

Welcome, we might actually get to have a Dunedin meet?

Definately get the biggest engine you can afford, haven't driven a new 320i, but E30 320i vs 325i is night and day.

also,

AA inspections are fairly poor (not poor, just not very in depth?), I'm sure one of the chch boys will enlighten you where to go for a pre-purchase inspection?

Edited by antil33t

Cheers for the feedback, didn't even realise there's gonna be a big difference between the 2.5L and 2.2L engines but just had a look at the power output between the two and i'm surprised. I will shop around as much as possible or as time allows and try and find a 325 cos I know I might regret it later.

But I am quite picky on the mtech kit, colour, interior etc as well so hopefully something will turn up.

Yup I'm in dunners at the moment, will be moving back to chch a few weeks but I'll be back and forth a few times over the next few months, a meet would be good...and off to wellington next year so I'm all over the place.

Will keep this updated as I find more and I'll definitely consider taking it to Jef Gray BMW for an inspection!

Cheers

Edited by decebal

If you happen to find one down here (don't cross your fingers) G K Mcleod in waverly know BMW's very well and have helped me out a couple of times with Q's etc...could always go too Cookies, but i'm not a fan!

Have you decided against the E39 overall? I'm driving an E39 530i Msport and I love it. I was considering a 3 series or a 5 series and after comparing prices and driving the 5 (in my mind) came out on top (I also prefer the drive)

I picked my car up for 16K with 55,000kms on it about 2 months ago. So that's comparable pricing to the 320 with the dog in the photo.

If you haven't already give an E39 a drive, even better if you can drive it back to back with an E46.

My 2c,

Oh and welcome to Bimmersport!

If you happen to find one down here (don't cross your fingers) G K Mcleod in waverly know BMW's very well and have helped me out a couple of times with Q's etc...could always go too Cookies, but i'm not a fan!

yeah I had a look around dunedin and there aren't many i would consider at all..that's why i thought i'd have better luck in chch..ill keep gk mcleod in mind if it does happen though..cheers mate

Have you decided against the E39 overall? I'm driving an E39 530i Msport and I love it. I was considering a 3 series or a 5 series and after comparing prices and driving the 5 (in my mind) came out on top (I also prefer the drive)

I picked my car up for 16K with 55,000kms on it about 2 months ago. So that's comparable pricing to the 320 with the dog in the photo.

If you haven't already give an E39 a drive, even better if you can drive it back to back with an E46.

My 2c,

Oh and welcome to Bimmersport!

Definitely havent decided against the e39 but i wanted one in black or blue, msport, with non woodgrain interior and either the 530 or the 540...thing is I barely seen any recently for sale in my price range...indy cars in chch is bringing a 530i msport blue in a few weeks so i'll definitely give that a drive. the e46 msport was just my next option and though it's more realistic to find one I like until the 23rd of nov when I need to have it bought!

but yeah in a couple of weeks I'll have a proper look around, and try wait for the 530i to arrive if I can...Haven't driven one before yet so it'll be good to compare it to the 2.2 e46..thanks for the info man, appreciate it

yeah I had a look around dunedin and there aren't many i would consider at all..that's why i thought i'd have better luck in chch..ill keep gk mcleod in mind if it does happen though..cheers mate

Definitely havent decided against the e39 but i wanted one in black or blue, msport, with non woodgrain interior and either the 530 or the 540...thing is I barely seen any recently for sale in my price range...indy cars in chch is bringing a 530i msport blue in a few weeks so i'll definitely give that a drive. the e46 msport was just my next option and though it's more realistic to find one I like until the 23rd of nov when I need to have it bought!

but yeah in a couple of weeks I'll have a proper look around, and try wait for the 530i to arrive if I can...Haven't driven one before yet so it'll be good to compare it to the 2.2 e46..thanks for the info man, appreciate it

Heheheh, this could be interesting. I am just waiting on a call from Indy cars re the 530i , I am looking at it for another member on here, Might be a case of first in best dressed if its any good lol.

Heheheh, this could be interesting. I am just waiting on a call from Indy cars re the 530i , I am looking at it for another member on here, Might be a case of first in best dressed if its any good lol.

haha all good man you might get lucky to be honest, I am only getting to chch just before mid november, pretty sure it will arrive by then..I was hoping someone else doesn't steal it before but I ah well...let me know how it is anyway, especially if your friend doesn't get it!

Yeah, I spent a good 3 or 4 months searching for the right car. I wanted black or white. And definitely no wood grain interior haha. Not sure if it's a young people thing but it's godawful haha. Nonetheless it's not an expensive mod to swap over the trim but better to buy it how you want it I 'spose.

If you want any info on the E39s I'm happy to help you out with anything I can.

Good luck.

Yeah man I hear you on that one, the woodgrain, to me, looks pretty tacky and not at all sophisticated or whatever it's trying to achieve..I would have thought it's more the older generation that likes it, like in a Jaguar or something :) ...But realistically if I find the perfect car but with wood trim I'd get it and try to swap it for that nice aluminium look finish I'm assuming you have! Not that on black interior looks soo good! Thanks man, once I get onto it properly I'll definitely let you know if I have questions and for some advice... I just turned onto BMs recently.