Sign in to follow this  
RustyItalian

E39 MP3 player wiring via cassette deck

Well my E39 has the quaint mechanism betside the telly for inserting some museum items called "cassette tapes".

I found an online tutorial (at http://www.bmwtips.com/) to tap RCA plugs into the wires coming out the back allowing a 3.5mm headphone jack to be wired in for a MP3 player. All good and very easy to do. Took about 20 minutes.

So now the audio signal when tape is selected comes from the MP3 player, not the tape deck.

Only problem is that my tape deck is kaput. I think that somewhere the gears are damaged so it clunks like you wouldn't believe when you try to eject. The tape has to be prised out of it. If I pull the deck out, play around and reset it a tape may play when inserted and everything works fine. As soon as I switch off though the tape resets and jams. Back to square one.

Is anyone aware of how I can fool the tape deck electronics to signal that the tape is in an playing fine, even if I somehow unplag the mechanisms in it?

I'm guessing a schematic of the deck internal schematic will be very hard to find. :angry:

I did that on my 540i, now sold.

Just dismantle a tape and take the tape out of it. Put the bank case in the headdeck.

If it comes up tape error, just toggle the mode switch in out out of tape mode.

You will find the level is low, and you will need to turn volume up, which can be a pain when you go back to radio, and the volume is too loud !

What I did was wired in a line driver between the MP3 and the tape wires, adjusted to match the volume.

Good luck :)

Unfortunately because my deck is stuffed once it comes up tape error only disassembly fixes it. :(

Unfortunately because my deck is stuffed once it comes up tape error only disassembly fixes it. :(

I got the same problem. Tape deck is stuffed. Did the tape input mod, no problem but of course it only works for a few seconds untill the "Tape Error" kicks in.

How can I fool the computer to think its OK. Is it just a matter of unplugging the tape deck or do I need a tape deck that kind-of works and put an empty tape in it.

I tried unplugging the tape deck, only thing you achieve is killing all of the radio buttons. It all has to be plugged in to keep the system working.

I need to do some more investigating to see if I can fool the deck into thinking there is a tape fitted. Haven't had a chance to though. I hope that I can trick some of the microswitches, however if it has any load sensing on the motors I'm stuffed.

A working tape deck isn't something I'd want to pay much for!

Richard