Sign in to follow this  
Surge

E30 Central Locking

My E30 325i (1986) has deadlocked itself, incluidng the fuel cap (so I can't put petrol in) - nor open the boot. I've managed to get into the car via the passenger door and unlock the drivers door (by removing the door card) but still can't figure out how to open the boot and the fuel cap.

I've read over a fair few DIY e30 locking pages, but can't figure out how to energise the locks to open the boot + fuel cap. I've tried a few central locking units to no avail (the ones below the passenger speaker) - any ideas?

Cheers

My E30 325i (1986) has deadlocked itself, incluidng the fuel cap (so I can't put petrol in) - nor open the boot. I've managed to get into the car via the passenger door and unlock the drivers door (by removing the door card) but still can't figure out how to open the boot and the fuel cap.

I've read over a fair few DIY e30 locking pages, but can't figure out how to energise the locks to open the boot + fuel cap. I've tried a few central locking units to no avail (the ones below the passenger speaker) - any ideas?

Cheers

Check fuse for locks, check the central locking relay (one from footwell) fusable link is intact.

Did you see this link?

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.p...ocking_problems

A piece may have broken off your lockset, it would pay to remove that and check. Even if power is out you should be able to manually unlock the door with the key.

Wicked. Yeah I hear a slight tick in the passenger footwell when I play with wires in the drivers door jamb. Can you identify this relay in the footwell any further? From what I've read I didn't think there was anything to do with the central locking in the pass footwell.

Wicked. Yeah I hear a slight tick in the passenger footwell when I play with wires in the drivers door jamb. Can you identify this relay in the footwell any further? From what I've read I didn't think there was anything to do with the central locking in the pass footwell.

That link is for a Left hand drive car i think so you are looking at the right relay, the big one under the speaker. Take the cover off it and there is a soldered link on one corner. Like two little verticals soldered together. One is under tension so when that blows the two separate. If that is blown fix or replace. Check any swapped units first. If it keeps blowing you have a problem elsewhere.

Check that pin plug in your door jamb too, can be tricky to unplug. If fiddling with the pin plug is generating some action in that relay sounds like your plug is dirty or defective.

I found the best way was to grap the tab in the centre of the plug with pliers, release to two side tabs then carefully pull it out. The little pins in there get all coroded etc.

I would also be looking at your actual lock, There are some easy links to find for "E30 door lock repair" showing how the lock comes out and how the dealock mechanism works. Were you unable to open the drivers door with key? Does the ley turn or what?

That link is for a Left hand drive car i think so you are looking at the right relay, the big one under the speaker. Take the cover off it and there is a soldered link on one corner. Like two little verticals soldered together. One is under tension so when that blows the two separate. If that is blown fix or replace. Check any swapped units first. If it keeps blowing you have a problem elsewhere.

Check that pin plug in your door jamb too, can be tricky to unplug. If fiddling with the pin plug is generating some action in that relay sounds like your plug is dirty or defective.

I found the best way was to grap the tab in the centre of the plug with pliers, release to two side tabs then carefully pull it out. The little pins in there get all coroded etc.

I would also be looking at your actual lock, There are some easy links to find for "E30 door lock repair" showing how the lock comes out and how the dealock mechanism works. Were you unable to open the drivers door with key? Does the ley turn or what?

hey, i think i might have a similar problem, what fuse is for the central locking? Mine doesnt work but i can still lock and unlock with a key.

cheers