Sign in to follow this  
1N STYL

What the go with "snowflake, E and S on E36's

ok S makes the car go faster, snowflake makes the car slower, and hold gear.

but whats the go with traction on all of those?

i was being a naughty lil boi, in an industrial area today in the wet, trying to drift the car.

can some1 please explain why the car can drift in "snowflake" and "E" farely easy, but in S its pretty hard? and if the wheels do spin in S the car doesn't really go sideways?

I was thinking traction control is only active in "S"?

so yeah what the story

Young grasshopper... I had this dilemma when I got mine too.

S - Sport - pushed forwards, holds the gears longer and at higher revs - good for overtaking etc...

E - Economy- Pushed down, normal driving

* - Snowflake - Pushed backwards, keeps revs lower and the car takes off in 2nd gear. Designed to keep traction.

Not that I try but my car is actually quite difficult to get to 'drift'. I don't bother trying and can rest assured that I'd have to be doing something pretty silly for it to get away from me when cornering in the wet.

On a side note, when I got it I could only find S and * - didn't think to push down on the E - wow a 3 way switch :o

Edited by *RJ*

Not that I try but my car is actually quite difficult to get to 'drift'.  I don't bother trying and can rest assured that I'd have to be doing something pretty silly for it to get away from me when cornering in the wet.

:( going around round abouts in "E" i can just tap the gas and the back slides out. Edited by 1N STYL

While we're asking what switches do... What is the switch on the dash board behind the steering wheel, in front of the window wiper control?

While we're asking what switches do... What is the switch on the dash board behind the steering wheel, in front of the window wiper control?

fog/driving lights?

Ive got an e34, so it may be different but...

S - Sport, shifts the change points up higher so the engine stays inside the power area of the rev range.

E - Economy, shift points are lower to keep the engine at its most efficient.

M - Manual hold, psudo-manual, holds the gearbox in the selected gear so you can start in 2, 3, or even 4. The gearbox wont shift out of the selected gear until you change it.

yeah i understand all the power modes and stuff.

i wanted to know why it can do a burn out in "E" (and in the wet in "*") and not "S"

cause if "S" so sporty, and makes more power, why all the traction?