Sign in to follow this  
Soljasmum

Overheating

I was wondering if any one can help me. I drove into town this morning, temp gauge all good, but once sitting idling, the temp went up. Not into the red, just over halfway. Checked water level, all good, drove home (15 min drive) gauge normal, parked to open gate, and temp went up again. Have just checked water level, and is normal. Can any one tell me what the problem might be please?

Cheer

Joy

when mine did this it was the viscous fan coupling

it was fine when the car was moving because the airflow kept everything cool

but once it was idling, no airflow and up goes the temp gauge

You can test the clutch fan by, starting the car up, letting it warm up.

Turn the car off, hold a rolled up newspaper on the fan and get a friend to start the car up and see if the fan stops.

I was wondering if any one can help me. I drove into town this morning, temp gauge all good, but once sitting idling, the temp went up. Not into the red, just over halfway. Checked water level, all good, drove home (15 min drive) gauge normal, parked to open gate, and temp went up again. Have just checked water level, and is normal. Can any one tell me what the problem might be please?

Cheer

Joy

Fairly normal for a e36 - cooling system was not a strong point.

Clutch on the fan, then thermostat, and lastly, the waterpump itself. Some have plastic impellers which chipped and became less effective as they got older....

Definitely the viscous fan coupling. Happened to me in Europe when I was bringing an e34 back home. Not much fun when you are stuck in traffic jams in middle of Paris and watching the temp gauge rising then the alarm gongs !!!