Sign in to follow this  
bmw7series

Difference between 2004 735Li and 2003 745Li?

Im looking to buy a 2004 735Li or a 2003 745Li, what are the differences between the two cars in terms of technology advances and reliability?

i was thinking of getting the 745Li because ive heard it has more technology features over the 735Li but hard to tell what the 745Li has over the 735Li in terms of technology.

ive heard the 2003 745Li has reliability problems.

initially i was looking at getting a 2004/2005 730i, but i was advised to get a 2004 735Li.

apparently the iDrive on the 2004 and later years are much better than the 2002/2003 models.

whats the difference between the 735Li and 745Li and which one would u recommend?

Cheers

Main probs in the 2002/2003 years are that they're early production models, hence they bore the majority of mechanical problems/idrive related issues. Apparently from 2004 onwards, most of these were fixed. I wouldn't recommend a 730i for 2 reasons, firstly, I wouldn't go for a non-long-wheel base version because this is one of the defining features of the 7 series, aside from keyless go, eletric boot and soft close doors, I can't see any significance over the 5 series. Sure it's bigger, but imo the 5 series is spacious enough.

Secondly, the 730i would be minimally equipped, I know this because I made the mistake of buying a 2004 S280L which has very, very few options compared to its larger engine counterparts. Also 3L v6 is underpowered for a car of that size.

I'm currently in the process of getting a 2005 745Li. From when I last looked at trademe, all of the 2004 745Lis were HEAVILY overpriced, so don't think that's the market price just because it's advertised on trademe, imo the real difference in market price between a 2003 and 2004 745Li isnt that large, so waiting till one pops up for a good price might be an option.

You also need to be aware of Jap vs Singapore vs NZ New models.

In terms of equipment lists between a 735 and 745, I'm not sure how large a difference it would be, BMW are very good with options, the majority of Singapore cars come standard with everything, only differences I can think of are alarm, heated/cooled seats, sunroof, tv, dvd changer, rear console in the back. All other features will be the same.

745 is more powerful than a 735 as you can probably imagine, so that's something else to consider (268 vs 328BHP). The 745 is really a jewel of its time, it can compete (and maybe even out-compete) a 5L V8 S500 of the same year.

I can't see any significance over the 5 series. Sure it's bigger, but imo the 5 series is spacious enough.

My E60 was a huge car inside, about the same size atleast of a Falcon/Commodre? Drove to CHCH with 5 people very very comfortably, never driven a new 7 series but can imagine that they must be huge.

i would think a NZ 745 would have a very good spec sheet,more std options than a 735.How else can you charge more?

yea im looking for a car that is under $30,000.

2003 745Li are over that price whereas 2004 735Li are under that price.

that is why i asked whether there are any significant differences between the two cars.

i would love to have a sunroof on a 735Li.

hopefully the iDrive in the 2004 is better than the earlier years.

black car with light beige interior looks beautiful.

that is why i asked whether there are any significant differences between the two cars.

yep thats the way it works.The larger engined cars have more of the options.Only exception to that is if the car is ordered and optioned especially for a customer.Then you can have a 316 say but with all of the options

You could get the vin for both cars and get the build sheets.Then you could see the differences

Edited by kiwi535

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-297649045.htm

this is fully optioned, although GPS wouldn't work here.