Sign in to follow this  
Shorty

E46 318i Sedan wont start

Hi all, hope you had a great xmas.

I did, managed to get my car back ready to strip for parts, will add some photos to the for sale section.

And I picked up a 1998 E46 318i sedan for super cheap..

The car has had a second hand engine installed, and not long after that the transmission apparantly crapped out. Which is fine by me as I will convert to manual if the trans had died.

Went to pick the car up yesterday it is a complete mess, needs a lot of elbow grease, and it had a flat battery which had been disconnected.

Took dad and his 5 series, a spare charged battery, jumper leads and a jumper pack.

connected the charged battery, lights come on.. no start.

Used all other methods mentioned above... no start.

All the lights come on, air con, radio etc all work, so there is definitly enough power. Yet turn the key and the starter motor doesn't even try to kick it over.

Almost as if the engine has been immobilised. The central locking doesn't work, not sure if the battery in the key is flat or whether that is another issue as the red led on the key flashed when i pressed the button..

Do I need to reset something? Help Please :D

^

Hi all, hope you had a great xmas.

I did, managed to get my car back ready to strip for parts, will add some photos to the for sale section.

And I picked up a 1998 E46 318i sedan for super cheap..

The car has had a second hand engine installed, and not long after that the transmission apparantly crapped out. Which is fine by me as I will convert to manual if the trans had died.

Went to pick the car up yesterday it is a complete mess, needs a lot of elbow grease, and it had a flat battery which had been disconnected.

Took dad and his 5 series, a spare charged battery, jumper leads and a jumper pack.

connected the charged battery, lights come on.. no start.

Used all other methods mentioned above... no start.

All the lights come on, air con, radio etc all work, so there is definitly enough power. Yet turn the key and the starter motor doesn't even try to kick it over.

Almost as if the engine has been immobilised. The central locking doesn't work, not sure if the battery in the key is flat or whether that is another issue as the red led on the key flashed when i pressed the button..

Do I need to reset something? Help Please :D

mmm,

ok so it has had another motor installed, and I'm going to asume it hasn't been running.

1) turn it over by hand, batt disconnected, see that it isn't seized

2) it will not crank ...

check all conections, check that the earth strap is connected, check the wiring to the starter, clean battery terminals, clean all earth straps

( as we don't know what has been done to the car)

3) actually fit the good battery ( that you have tested) to the car, most jumper leads are no good

4) check for power at the starter

give this a go and then report back

cheers

Cheers will give this a go. I don't have proof that the car has been running. But the guy said that he got the 2nd hand engine put in, drove it for a wee while then the auto trans started slipping so he parked it up and left it for a few months.

mmm,

ok so it has had another motor installed, and I'm going to asume it hasn't been running.

1) turn it over by hand, batt disconnected, see that it isn't seized

2) it will not crank ...

check all conections, check that the earth strap is connected, check the wiring to the starter, clean battery terminals, clean all earth straps

( as we don't know what has been done to the car)

3) actually fit the good battery ( that you have tested) to the car, most jumper leads are no good

4) check for power at the starter

give this a go and then report back

cheers