Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Bmw driver training.

I am curious about the bmw driver training courses that are offered. Has anybody been though one of these ??. It said something about 20 people max /min , so i am guessing you cannot just go for a one on one course.

Anybody else able to give some more solid info on this. ??

I did one of these a few years back. Great fun, much of the training was to make you more familiar with your car, its capabilities and yours.

The course consisted of various activities such as panic braking, braking distances, reaction times, the advantages of ABS in the real world, slalom driving, reaction driving ( which simulates a developing motorway pileup and you have to steer and brake your way out of trouble) how to drive well on the road (and track) all at various points around Ruapuna. Then later you allowed out on the full track first behind a lead car with the braking points and apexes marked. Hot laps are also availabe in an M3 or M5. Most of the activities are done in your own car.

The tutors are great, and very familiar with BMWs. There is little one on one tuition as the whole thing is set up so that you become more comfortable and trusting in yourself and your car.

If you looking for race training etc, forget it. Most drivers have never extended themselves or their car and this is a way of showing off the brand and why you buy a BMW for reasons beyond looking good or impressing the neighbours. They are the Ultimate Driving Machine after all, or is it Joy?

I have attended 3 of these, including the M driver training day which was slightly different but also very similar.

If you've never been to the track and don't actually know where to turn in, where to hit the apex and where to exit a corner then these days are great for learning lines to a particular track.

It is designed for road cars and road drivers to explore the functionalities of their vehicles (or the driver training cars used on the day, sometimes 3 series, sometimes others - it changes over time).

Level 1 courses teaches braking and throttle control and ABS - little bit of lapping and learning the corners on the track. The lapping is done behind a pace car driven by the instructor.

Level 2 teaches slightly more advanced throttle control and cornering and fast lapping.

The M days are done in M cars (in NZ, owners of M cars) and teaches slightly more advanced stuff about going fast and learning a corner. Little bit more about over and understeer control and emergency braking. You also get a current professional driver sitting in one on one telling you what you are doing wrong for a couple of laps going at speed.

It is not designed to be a 'race car' type training, but rather one learning about car control and emergency and little bit about how to go fast within your limits. (I believe the mini days teaches J turns)

You'd be surprised how much the instructors can pick up from listening to your throttle input and seeing how you steer through a corner. Always great fun too to be passengered by Mike Eady in the M3 and be shown how a professional drives.

Edited by M3_Power

I did one at Pukekohe earlier this year. It was definitely an experience and taught me a lot. Comes highly recommended.

Don't do a 'BMW' one. Would probably be 5 times the price of heading out to ruapuna, walking up to the Canterbury Motor Racing School and doing an hour with 7000+-laps-of-ruapuna Andy Neale. I did 10 laps with him at a trackday and oh my god it took 5 seconds off per lap within those 10 laps. Ruapuna is a complicated beast in the infield...

In a full hour he will teach you how to do things like pressing the throttle and brake the right amount, then move onto taking chunks of time out of your lap with the proper lines. From there I guess it's all balls and feel. Especially on the fast left on the back straight, and coming out of the sweeper onto the main straight.

If you're lucky and they're looking to fill classes they sometimes shave 50% off.