Sign in to follow this  
nordschleife

iPod / iPhone 4 cable for Video

I want to run a cable from the AV input in the boot of the car to the glovebox or similar so that I can play the videos from my iPhone (iPhone 4 if it makes any difference) on the OEM monitor. I also want it to charge the iPod / iPhone.

I know that a few years ago this was easy but apparently Apple changed things and now an auth chip in the end of cable is required for the iPhone to output any video.

Can anyone help me with finding one of these? Here is one I've seen on eBay UK which may do the job however the seller makes no promises it will work.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Are there any available locally that are known to work?

Cheers

Matt

Most people have been complaining since apple updated their firmware's with the video out function. It used to work ok with jailbroken iphone's and a certain app but even that dosn't now work any more. This is with alot of car makers. I don't have an iphone this is just what I have seen and read on various other forum's in my dealings with the dynavin.

Edited by M-Spec

I want to run a cable from the AV input in the boot of the car to the glovebox or similar so that I can play the videos from my iPhone (iPhone 4 if it makes any difference) on the OEM monitor. I also want it to charge the iPod / iPhone.

I know that a few years ago this was easy but apparently Apple changed things and now an auth chip in the end of cable is required for the iPhone to output any video.

Can anyone help me with finding one of these? Here is one I've seen on eBay UK which may do the job however the seller makes no promises it will work.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Are there any available locally that are known to work?

Cheers

Matt

That ebay cable is exactly what I used on my iPod Classic 160GB when connecting to the AV IN on my E39 540i.

Worked fine, and had the added benefit that it charged the iPod (12V charge)

Note that the cable is just a cable, offering AV out and 12V Power in, it has no electronics in it.

A liitle OT, but then again maybe not.....

This is cool

BMW is the first car manufacturer to have announced support for a little-known feature in iOS 4 called iPod Out. CNET reported (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20009928-48.html) last week on this new iOS 4 feature:

This feature allows a connected iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, or iPod Touch (second or third generation) to output and display an iPod interface on a connected device's external screen. That device, in this case, would be a future BMW or Mini vehicle.

A liitle OT, but then again maybe not.....

This is cool

BMW is the first car manufacturer to have announced support for a little-known feature in iOS 4 called iPod Out. CNET reported (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20009928-48.html) last week on this new iOS 4 feature:

This feature allows a connected iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, or iPod Touch (second or third generation) to output and display an iPod interface on a connected device's external screen. That device, in this case, would be a future BMW or Mini vehicle.

This looks like the new version of combox feature which replaced the old USB and ipod support feature and bluetooth module. We are waiting for the parts to do the retrofit on one E92.

Will update the result soon.

Cool, thanks.

I guess the only ipad caseoption for video then is to buy the official Apple cable,leather ipad 2 cases chop the USB off and wire it to 12v.

Worked fine, and had theipad leather cases added benefit that it charged the iPod (12V charge)

Note that the cable is just a cable, offering AV out and 12V Power in, it has no electronics in it.

Edited by Bapties