Sign in to follow this  
oscar90

South Island hot spots wanted

Hey guys,

Planning on doing a drive around the lower south island in march, having a hard time thinking of everywhere so I want to know where people reccommend stopping/ looking..there must be some hidden gems along the way!

were leaving from CHCH and will be going inland to

Queenstown/Arrowtown(will stop at cromwell and all those places along the way)

Te Anau

All the hydro lakes Benmore and Manapouri,

so Milford sounds

Dunedin

Bluff..not my choice haha been there once that was enough

And we'll come back to ChCh up the east coast

Soooo go!

Andrew

Well..

Cromwell not much to see their really.

Wanaka?

Glenorchy

Pretty much all these little towns on the link below are worth a visit and away from major touristy things to do.

All are old school mining era towns, or left over towns from aroun the mid 1800's

Macetown is cool, old stone huts etc, St Bathans is worth a look, Naseby etc.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation/histor...y-region/otago/

If you come up from Bluff i would suggest go through the catlins, stop of at Papatowai, through Owaka, stop off at Nugget Point, then up through Dunedin ways.. Moeraki, check out the Boulders.

The Millbrook Golf Club is absolutely spectacular. Also great food at the Amisfield vineyard just out've Queenstown.

If your starting off from CHCH, head north to Nelson, then cut inland over SH6 to Westport then Greymouth, head down the west coast, (Franz Joeseph e.t.c.) stay on the west coast road which will take you to Wanaka, then you can do Queenstown, and through Qtown you can reach Te Anau and Manapouri, if you have the time do the Manapouri dam tour it is epic. Head back to Omarama which will hook you onto Twizel, Lake Tekapo, you can get to Christchurch easily from there. I'd take about 5 days to do it, depending on weather or not you have kids really!

I've created this for you! LINK!

Kinda have to agree with Clinton on this one, we did a similar road trip a few Easter's ago, absolutely stunning driving, almost identical drive although we skipped Kaikora and headed up under Hamner Springs to Nelson then back down the West Coast.

Do not skip out Milford Sound, also best to hit Milford Sound early, they have a 10:00am ish boat trip out from there which all the bus tourists miss due to the Bus run only getting it around midday. You can skip the boat trip but it is one of those things you would regret later not doing. The trip down to Milford Sound however is worth the drive alone.

Kinda have to agree with Clinton on this one, we did a similar road trip a few Easter's ago, absolutely stunning driving, almost identical drive although we skipped Kaikora and headed up under Hamner Springs to Nelson then back down the West Coast.

Do not skip out Milford Sound, also best to hit Milford Sound early, they have a 10:00am ish boat trip out from there which all the bus tourists miss due to the Bus run only getting it around midday. You can skip the boat trip but it is one of those things you would regret later not doing. The trip down to Milford Sound however is worth the drive alone.

Hmm, I agree, Hamner Springs then to Nelson, didn't think of that! Better drive too.

If you get to Southland, instead of the dreary drive Invercargill (or Bluff) to Dunedin via SH1, I strongly suggest you go Invercargill to Balclutha via the Catlins. The Catlins has the most awesome coastal scenery you could imagine, it is wild, rugged, and rough. Curio Bay with the petrified forest you can see on the beach, the wind blown trees that are sharply deformed by the winds - and not to mention the waterfall at Purakaunui, most spectacular! The road is tarseal all the way, fairly new so is in good order - a trip not to be missed!

And if you surf, purukanui bay has some pretty amazing surf..

Make sure you keep the speed down between Fairlie and Tekapo, drove through this morning and between 9 and 915 I saw 4 patrol cars, 1 wagon and 2 undercovers, and 1 of those were following me.

And all between Burkes Pass and Tekapo.

Crazy.

Edited by shaneg

Cheers for the replys... no kids..im too young for that! thanks for that link Clinton! im liking that idea now

These boys are on too it, all awesome suggestions.

Bluff though...not even oyster season? ;)

Bluff is only 20 odd km from Invers, its good for a quick look see and on a clear day you can see Stewart Island.

Other than that, the road from Invercargill to Te-Anau is all farmland unless you travel via Manapouri which I highly recommend.

Bluff... yeahhhh not me that wants to go...been once, that was enough