Sign in to follow this  
JaKob

80s-early90's beamer affordable performance

Get a 540iS. It's got all the sh*t!

So it, along with the E34 M5 are the fastest ones.

6.5s 0-100 and 155mph (limited). M5 is 6.2s 0-100 off memory. 15 more Hp and less torque.

You could get one of those too Paul. If you could find one. :lol:

The LE designation makes it sound like an iL IMO. Bloody Aussies.

either option is outside the 15 k tho..there is a 540is for sale in auckland at a dealer ,looks nice has 25K on it

Is it Blue? There are 2 of those up here. They are lower spec than mine. One of them is the 'body in the boot car'.

Wouldn't want that one! ^_^

There is a bloody mint ACS e34 540 around town here in Christchurch. Black with shadowline rim, riding on 18inch AC mags with a beautiful sounding exhaust. I see it sometimes near where I work in the city and feel green as hell.

i think it was blue and i thought someone once said they were all blue....

body in the boot

*shudder*

anyways we had better get back on topic before we get pwnd

Well what does SE mean then?

Cos we have a 1996 E39 523SE.. and my Dad spoke to our BMW Tech in Dunedin before we brought the 5er from Christchurch about it, asking about enginer probs etc.

Basically all i know is this:

A 523 actually has a 2.5 engine, but the chip or something downgrades it so BMW could sell it cheaper to a different market. Only a few horsepower, not noticeable to the average driver. Or is it that its still a 2.5 but a diff engine like m## b## than the 525.

BUT

With a 523 SE surely the SE means something to do with the engine (but i think maybe it has something to do with cosmetics, leather ,stereo etc, so maybe its been upgraded to 525 specs again. Re - badging the car would be no problem would it? Its not like putting a M3 badge on a 318, its putting a 525 badge on a 5 series 2.5. Its all very confusing isn't it :)

Can someone please help me with this, It'd be much appreciated

Cheers (argh there go the Grant styles)

Emma

surely the SE means something to do with the engine (but i think maybe it has something to do with cosmetics, leather ,stereo etc,

To my knowledge the SE is virtually all cosmetic upgrades like the interior, parking sensors, leather interior etc. Most NZ new cars I've seen appear to be SE.

Speaking of 5ers... there is a brand spanking new 535 with a motorsport kit on it at the local dealer here, and it looks HHHHHOT! :)

To my knowledge the SE is virtually all cosmetic upgrades like the interior, parking sensors, leather interior etc. Most NZ new cars I've seen appear to be SE.

Speaking of 5ers... there is a brand spanking new 535 with a motorsport kit on it at the local dealer here, and it looks HHHHHOT! :)

Thanks shadowninja.

So no engine mods? No better chip.. dammit.

Agreed, the SE have always been the High spec versions. But not from a performance perspective.

Most, new iS's don't have any engine work done to them these days either. Not since the E30 really.

Thats right, the SE is just more optioned than the standard one, not performance wise.

My compact is an SE with even more options. It worked out cheaper with the SE+other options instead of standard + all the options i wanted.