Sign in to follow this  
Gus

More Torque

well after driving andy car i quite liked the extra torque he has down low...my top end feels a lot quicker but his car is still a little bit quicker....my engine mods are this

headers, exhaust

K&N panel, bigger exhaust valves (apparently), cam (not sure what type), chip (again, unknown)

i was thinking, why not replace the cam (its pretty aggressive, funny idle) with a stock one, as i doubt i would lose much top end, and would move the power a bit lower, as well as being easier to drive round in, would also save me having to change cam when i do turbo, eventually....any thoughts on this would be appreciated

and as for installation...the head doesnt need to be removed does it? or does it? not sure of which one. damn wish i had never sold 2.7 now! torque your friend

suggestions comments et al welcomed

and nothing to do with turbo, supercharger or mad vteckin

where does this "low down torque" end????

I myself would leave it as is.... low end revs end at like 60kph in top gear, whats the point in losing top end for that.... no asthmatic top end pwns all, thats what mad vt@k style launches are for hahah......

but yeah, cam would make a diffrence, you would perhaps gain torque with some backpressure maybe???

hrrrmm, dyno run would be good to compare the differencde between the two cars, then see if you still care

Cam has a great point. Dyno them both and quantify the differences. Then you can work on how to improve torque.

HP is a function of Torque x Revs. So, if yours revs higher... Have you tested the compression of both cars too?

Look forward to the results.

does seem odd you don't mind losing some top end. Anyway generally you would want to restrict the breathing a bit more, eg smaller valves, smaller headers, etc

As for cam i think you can go for something that longer duration and less left, should also increase torque

Does andys 323 head have smaller or bigger valves than the 325i (too much misinformation around to know for sure without actually seeing them) if they are smaller that would give him more torque.

Isn't Andrews car running a taller diff ratio too......his car must have a lot more torque if it still fells faster than your down low. Is your engine just worn compared to Andys recently rebuilt one??

dyno would be the way to go......as for compression mine is fine...all within spec.....i imagine that andys low down torque has an awful lot to do with the fact that his car is freshly built! as opposed to 260k on mine....im not that keen on losing top end, i just dont think that the cam gives a huge difference, and i feel that it is costing me more down low than i am gaining up high...however i could well be wrong! with his taller diff ratio (now 3.46?? vs my 3.64) we hit about the same speed with me having the higher red line

im just throwing ideas round.....damn shouldn have sold 2.7 as i coulda built it up in spare time and then whacked my head on it....haha it prob is a little beyond me! nearly happy with car...just a couple more bits!