Sign in to follow this  
richx

325i into 320i

what would be the best place to go about buying a 325i engine? it would go straight into a 320i? and how much would i be looking at to get it put in prof.. any detials handy.. cheers

Depending on the year of the 320 concerned a 325 engine will go straight in. However some 320 will have different gearboxes, radiators, diffs, springs, ECU and wiring etc that will need to be changed to make it all work properly. The later model 320 you have, the more similar the cars are and the easier the swap is. Eg, fitting a 1983 320 with a 325 engine requires more parts to be swaped over from a 325 than say a 1990 320 which needs fewer parts from the 325. Provided you have all the parts needed it would take a professional less than a day to do the swap (8hours @ $40-$60/hour). I bought a complete but damaged 325 from Turners Damaged Car auctions, it made the swap easy as it provided all the parts I needed. It cost $950 for the wreck and I made more than that back from selling off other parts from the wreck that I didn't need and by selling my old engine and box.

Im looking at doing the same conversion as well now. I have an 88 320i, and if anyone has detailed information about all the different gearboxes, radiators, diffs, springs, ECU and wiring problems that my occur, or will need to looked at, please pm me or post here.

Cheers Guys

Im looking at doing the same conversion as well now. I have an 88 320i, and if anyone has detailed information about all the different gearboxes, radiators, diffs, springs, ECU and wiring problems that my occur, or will need to looked at, please pm me or post here.

Cheers Guys

If your cars distributor is driven off the end of camshaft you can probably use your existing gearbox and radiator. Your diff ratio will be too high. Use the ECU, airflow meter and engine bay wiring loom that belong to the 2.5L engine. You don't actually need to change the engine wiring, but it is easier to pull it all out with your old engine, then put the new engine and its wiring in as one (involves one plug under the dash and one on the firewall-verses dozens of plugs on the engine and around the engine bay). The springs are softer, the struts are smaller and there is usually no anti roll bar in the back of a 320, it's standard on a 325 as are 4 wheel discs (some 320 only have rear drums) The suspension and brakes don't need to be changed to get the motor in of course, but you should keep them in mind when it comes time to get a cert.

Cheers, will keep that info in mind if i come to do a swap.i will most likely have my fun with this car. then sell it after a few years and try get a m325i, but if not, that info will come in handy