Sign in to follow this  
cantab1971

DVD navigation system

hi there, I just bought a 2003 525i with DVD navigation system in the boot, it even had the japanese DVD disk still in it. A couple of questions i'd really appreciate anyone answering. Can we get NZ DVD disks? Can we use the DVD unit for anything other than navigation DVD's? is it easy to remove the DVD unit if in fact its useless in NZ (cos it gets in the way a bit when trying to get large luggage in and out of boot :).

Thanks again experts - im new to this, but love my BMW!

p.s sorry, another one..i was playing with the TV in the dash and noticed a channel option called "AV" - does this mean there's an AV inputs somewhere that i could attach an MP3, or dvd player to? because i can't find em :)

Cheers!

- The Jap DVD nav unit is useless outside Japan. NZ map disc will not work in it.

- The system can be converted to NZ spec but requires replacement nav unit & slight wiring mod to suit - I have done heaps - a brilliant system & well worth converting.

- Yes it can be removed - may as well do if you don't want to convert

- Yes AV input can operate Ipods, a seperate DVD player etc

- Can also operate factory integration reverse camera.

- Being 03 - will have world radio tuner too. If not already done - can be reprogrammed for here.

Can help with all of above - PM me for rundown

Cheers

Grant

- The Jap DVD nav unit is useless outside Japan. NZ map disc will not work in it.

- The system can be converted to NZ spec but requires replacement nav unit & slight wiring mod to suit - I have done heaps - a brilliant system & well worth converting.

- Yes it can be removed - may as well do if you don't want to convert

- Yes AV input can operate Ipods, a seperate DVD player etc

- Can also operate factory integration reverse camera.

- Being 03 - will have world radio tuner too. If not already done - can be reprogrammed for here.

Can help with all of above - PM me for rundown

Cheers

Grant

thanks Grant. will consider. can you tell me where the AV input is? also the car dealer had a band expander installed but radio stops at 100FM (90 FM displayed on screen), which is a bugger because i want the Radio New Zealand at 101FM... is there only one kind of band expander or should i have specified they put in a kind that gets it up to 101FM :( thanks again for your help.

thanks Grant. will consider. can you tell me where the AV input is? also the car dealer had a band expander installed but radio stops at 100FM (90 FM displayed on screen), which is a bugger because i want the Radio New Zealand at 101FM... is there only one kind of band expander or should i have specified they put in a kind that gets it up to 101FM :( thanks again for your help.

If the car is 2003 built (check the Chassis number), then the dealer is an idiot uninformed. You don't need a band expander it is just a settings change, and then it will work as if it was nz new (for radio). If you are able to change the region tho you will need to remove the band expander they put in and fix whatever wiring they cut into.

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

put your vin/chassis into there, found printed on drivers side tower under bonnet, or look it up via rego plate at carjam.co.nz

Edited by Matt45

If the car is 2003 built (check the Chassis number), then the dealer is an idiot uninformed. You don't need a band expander it is just a settings change, and then it will work as if it was nz new (for radio). If you are able to change the region tho you will need to remove the band expander they put in and fix whatever wiring they cut into.

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

put your vin/chassis into there, found printed on drivers side tower under bonnet, or look it up via rego plate at carjam.co.nz

ah....thanks for that... bum, its production date is 2002/11 so i guess its not a 2003 one after all....

another question for you if thats alright..i'll figure out how to PM if you prefer... did you say you can install reverseing camera that will use the screen in the dash? if so can you give me an idea of $$ ? thanks

ah....thanks for that... bum, its production date is 2002/11 so i guess its not a 2003 one after all....

another question for you if thats alright..i'll figure out how to PM if you prefer... did you say you can install reverseing camera that will use the screen in the dash? if so can you give me an idea of $$ ? thanks

hmm that should be ok i think world tuners went in 9/02 onwards from memory so should just be a setting change in service menu.

hotwire has the backing cameras, i think the hardware is about $250, defiantly worth it especially if you don't have parking sensors.

PM sent