Sign in to follow this  
mons2b

e46 compact underbody plastic cover missing

Hi. Just became the proud owner of an E46 compact. Its missing its plastic underbody cover that goes under the engine. Is this worth replacing? I gather its very expensive? Does it make a huge difference to fuel economy or any other benefit?

Edited by J B W

Hi. Just became the proud owner of an E46 compact. Its missing its plastic underbody cover that goes under the engine. Is this worth replacing? I gather its very expensive? Does it make a huge difference to fuel economy or any other benefit?

Yes it's worth it.

It improves the underbody aerodynamics and also keeps the engine clean

You may want to see if you can find one at a wreckers, altho alot are broken/missing.

To give you an indication on new price, My E36 coupe center undercover was about $450 new. And on the E39 there are 3 one for each corner of bumper and then one under engine/radiator, The 2 corners were $500 EACH (insurance).

Obviously the price will be different for your car so just get the Chassis number and call for a price. Just don't expect it to be a $50 peice of plastic.

You may want to see if you can find one at a wreckers, altho alot are broken/missing.

To give you an indication on new price, My E36 coupe center undercover was about $450 new. And on the E39 there are 3 one for each corner of bumper and then one under engine/radiator, The 2 corners were $500 EACH (insurance).

Obviously the price will be different for your car so just get the Chassis number and call for a price. Just don't expect it to be a $50 peice of plastic.

Thanks guys for your advice I appreciate it.