Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Insurance Querry Regarding Airfilters.

Would putting a K&N panel filter in your car be regarded as modifying your car. Every car needs an airfilter, I guess it probably differs whether you get pod or panel as some of them are OEM style.

I guess I'd be right in saying your modifying it because it does gain in horsepower slightly.

i dont reckon it is if it's a panel.... for the record you're replacing it with a k&n form a paper filter as they're serviceable and will save you bling in the longrun...

they would never ever ever know anyways..... do it

Just play dumb when you got questioned by the insurance company.

"What K&N?? I got them from Repco and they say they are the ones for my car...."

I guess I'd be right in saying your modifying it because it does gain in horsepower slightly.

Technically anything that alters the performance of the car could be classified as a modification, however with this it is unlikely an insurance company would ever know or find out, with the exception of a mechanical warranty kind of cover.

EG- if your car were written off, its likely they may not even look under the bonnet to come to a pre-accident valuation for settlement purposes (much less check out what filters you're running).

For a mechanical warranty though, if your engine blew up for some reason & they go through the diagnostic process they may discover non-standard parts & use that to decline your claim (and possibly cancel cover).